• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I have heard about different small calibers thru the years like 22 hornet and a couple others and they are popular for about 5 or 10 years than kinda disappear.I think one was a 17fireball or something. I am 67 years old and read quite a few gun magazines over the years and saw a few one shot wonder calibers.I just bought a ruger american in 22mag,and am super impressed with accuracy.Love that rifle for sneaking around farm ditches and hvy woods , put a burris drop tine scope on it and so far very happy with it.BUUT I kinda been nosing around 17HMR info.and thinking about getting one.I am happy about its speed record but wondering about punch on a coyote.Some people say its a coyote killer at 200 yards, I dont know wether to believe them or not, its a tiny pill.Do you think this round will stay around a long time or fizzle out ? If any of you guys hunt yotes with this round , give me your opinion on it please.AND NO, I am NOT selling my ruger american in 22mag.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    The 17 hmr will be around for a long time. I have not tried it on a yote, 17 wsm i have. 17hmr is my go-to tree rat rifle, head shots only. Its a great coon rifle and drops fox in tracks. Very fur friendly.

I'm shooting with a suppressor which makes it all the sweeter.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    There is alot of info on coyote hunting with the .17hmr. There are much better choices. 22wmr would be better imho.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I still own an HMR. I'd definitely hit a coyote with it inside 200 yds. Closer is better. There might be blood trailing involved, depending on shot placement, at any distance, but odds increase for that with distance. I do not hunt them with HMR on purpose. Only targets of opportunity when squirrel hunting. .243, .223 or .20 VarTarg when I'm targeting the species which is not nearly often enough to suit me.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I haven’t shot a coyote with it but it’ll knock down a groundhog at 200ish yards.
    And a WMR will gut a racoon at 25 yards.:): I took one out and did a quartering shot, hit behind the right shoulder and it exited in front of the left hip. He was DRT with nary a twitch and half his intestines were hanging out the exit hole. Yikes. Internal shock wave must have been incredible to shut him down like that.

I miss that rifle.

But yes, 17HMR is here to stay. Get one. I want one when this chaos calms down.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    17HMR is really accurate. With decent glass a good rifleman can make very tiny 100-125 yard groups.

Good hits are possible way farther then that, but the bullet is not really hunting effective at longer range.

I had an easy brain shot at 90 yards for my one yote kill.

Lotta folks get in and out of the 17HMR biz pretty quick. Watch for good deals on 17HMR's in the classifieds. (Someone needs to buy that RPR in the classies now.)

Deals can be had in the classies on ammo also after folks have parted with their rifles.

Last edited:

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    If that's what you had I wouldn't have a problem with using it. I've got 22lr, and a .223 bolt gun. I just don't see the need for .17 or .22wmr with my current inventory.
    I don't do any hunting other than squirrels and deer at the moment.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    If that's what you had I wouldn't have a problem with using it. I've got 22lr, and a .223 bolt gun. I just don't see the need for .17 or .22wmr with my current inventory.
    I don't do any hunting other than squirrels and deer at the moment.

In the darkest days of the rimfire shortage, I found .17HMR in every single store I went to and 0 .22LR for about 3 continuous years.

I was about to sell all of my .22s and buy .17s just so I could feed them. That, and my buddy having one for 20 years now and having a riot with it, are my only real reasons for "needing" one.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I have a Ruger 77/17 HMR. Walnut stock and blued steel. A work of art. The 17 HMR has always been a pleasure to shoot and always, always does the job. I believe the 17 HMR will be around for years to come.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    In the darkest days of the rimfire shortage, I found .17HMR in every single store I went to and 0 .22LR for about 3 continuous years.

I was about to sell all of my .22s and buy .17s just so I could feed them. That, and my buddy having one for 20 years now and having a riot with it, are my only real reasons for "needing" one.
    I remember that now. I considered buying one then too.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I'd pass on the 17 for yotes. It'll kill them just fine with a perfect shot but on a less than perfect shot that tiny little fragile bullet just doesn't have the gumption to get the job done. Yotes aren't that hard to kill but they can take some punishment out of proportion to their size.

Top Bottom