• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I prefer the GI. My Loaded came with a 2 piece FLGR and it would come loose after about 7 rounds. I don't see any reason to use one unless you want a slightest bit more weight. I changed the FL to a GI have never looked back.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I use the one piece full length guide rod on my 1911's because of the slightly increased weight it provides. It also theoretically keeps the recoil spring from "wandering around" and touching the insides of the recoil spring tunnel, but :dunno: I don't know whether I personally buy that as a reason to switch from the G.I. setup. I guess I pretty much think this modification falls in the category of "hey, I can modify my pistol without screwing it up and then tell people I "work" on my own guns" kind of modification. No harm, no foul either way. I've never tried the two piece rod setup that LPMan references, although I've seen guns with it. I think that type would be a pain in the butt more than any advantage you'd get from it, and being susceptible to loosening isn't good.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I used to use FLGRs in all my 1911s but have since removed them all, well except for the Kimbers that came from the factory with them. To me it didn't seem as if they really did anything other than add weight and make it more difficult to disassemble the gun. I also like to do a quick chamber check by placing my thumb in the trigger guard and forefinger on the recoil spring plug and slightly moving the slide back a bit to see if there is a round loaded or not. I think it really boils down to personal preference though. :twocents:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I don't see any clear advantage to having a FLGR other than weighting the front of the pistol. As previous poster said, personal preference.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member.. GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Use 2 piece tungsten guide rods in all my 1911's as it is easier for me to dismantle and clean them. I am told by those who know far more than I that they run better with the full length rod.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Didn't care much for the two-piece style FLGR that came on my full-sized "Loaded" Springfield. If I didn't remember to put a drop of 'red' Loctite on the threads, it'd work itself loose after two of three mags-full. Replaced it with a GI-type guide and spring retainer cap. Have yet to see any noticable difference in functional reliability or accuracy since. Easier to do a quick press check, rack one-handed, etc., too. OMMV, but I'm going to stick with "Shorty".

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I have the GI setup now, thought about Wilson combat recoil FLGR setup...not sure if I will or not

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Didn't care much for the two-piece style FLGR that came on my full-sized "Loaded" Springfield. If I didn't remember to put a drop of 'red' Loctite on the threads, it'd work itself loose after two of three mags-full. Replaced it with a GI-type guide and spring retainer cap. Have yet to see any noticable difference in functional reliability or accuracy since. Easier to do a quick press check, rack one-handed, etc., too. OMMV, but I'm going to stick with "Shorty".

I have never had a 2 piece rod come loose. It is a bit scary to use red loc-tight
    I would use the blue or purple. I have 3 Springers and all have the 2 piece. Shoot them regularly. Never an issue.
    The spring plug on my P-12 hi-cap failed after several thousand rounds and I have a full length 2 piece in it now as well. Not sure but it feels better, could be just me...

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    May be that mine was out-of-spec somehow, but it did loosen enough to protrude about 1/8" or a bit more from the recoil spring cap if it wasn't Loctited. BTW: You're right; I just checked my bottle and the fluid itself is blue. It's the bottle that's red. Senior moments happen. My bad.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    May be that mine was out-of-spec somehow, but it did loosen enough to protrude about 1/8" or a bit more from the recoil spring cap if it wasn't Loctited. BTW: You're right; I just checked my bottle and the fluid itself is blue. It's the bottle that's red. Senior moments happen. My bad.

Its all good. I just would hate for some new guy to the sport thinking red would be a good option and then not be able to dismantle his gun. With out heat the red stuff can be forever.
    I have never been afraid to lean on the allen wrench when tightening the guide-rod.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I tried degreasing the threads with Gun Scrubber or brake cleaner, then cranking it down 'significantly' first. It'd still work loose in fairly short order, it just took a bit longer for it to crop up again.

The most disquieting thing about it was that it was so easy to overlook if you got engrossed in the tasks at hand and focusing hard on trying to improve your performance in a series of routine skill set drills. Loctite kept it from happening, but I just got tired of having to screw with it so much.

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    i had to have my guide machined down to fit into my 1911, it's a two piece rod, but i don't need to take it apart to disassemble the gun. used it for years with no issue. but like a previous poster stated i like the ability to press check. i've taken it out several months ago, and doubt i'll go back with the full length rod as i didn't see any real improvement in function.

just my 2 cents.

Top Bottom