• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dashby115

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Greenwood
    OK ladies and gentlemen I have a Sprngfield 1911 gi and want to upgrade the sights to something more visable than the factory sights,any suggestions? what is involved in changing them? put trijicons on my glock but this looks more involved.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I THINK the G.I. version may have the narrower tenon cut than the standard Novak or Bomar, so you may be slightly limited unless you are willing to have the slide recut (which is not difficult or expensive, but is best done by someone equipped to do it correctly). Although most people seem to be going with a fiber optic sight on the front these days, I put a gold bead on the front of my Wilson Colt and it is incredibly visible in full and low light conditions. If you are going to make your Springer a defensive pistol, you probably are going to want the Trijicons or similar. Wilson combat had some on sale last time I looked, in a variety of styles and colors. You can send just the slide in for sight mounting, if you aren't going local, but you should strongly consider using a local smith that can test fire and adjust POA/POI for you (which ought to be included). Non-local smiths will (or at least should) perform sighting in with a host frame, but since it wouldn't be yours you aren't assured of the perfect sight picture you want. Wilson did a great job on mine, but I was getting some other goodies taken care of at the same time, so they had the whole pistol.

RTDoug

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Quite interested myself in what might be available locally as well. I am toying with the idea of sending one back to Colt for the installation of diffent sights on my 70 series.
    Anyone ever had work done by Verne Trester?

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    As hinted at, springfield GI's use a different tenon or stake diameter. I believe you can send the slide to springfield fir milling a dovetail.

You can also call brownells and I am pretty sure they will answer your questions. If it were me, I'd ship it for the dovetail. Sights are of greater selection with novak cuts.

dashby115

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Greenwood
    think I am going to check out some local options..just shipped a S & W back to the factory for some work $100 in shipping just to get it there. They have had it a month and a half not even an estimate yet..maybe another month

Top Bottom