• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xanderphillips

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    My Frankenstein 1911 (AO receiver + Ithica slide) sometime has problems with bullet rubbing against the slide stop lug. This generally doesn't prematurely lock the slide back but it has occasionally caused feeding issues by knocking the bullet nose downward too much to allow the round to properly chamber. I see on the lug where the copper of the bullet has rubbed on the ss, but am 'powerful skeered' to take a file to it. I see that I can get a new ss online from about $40+, but if this one can be salvaged I'd like to do that. Additionally I've got an idiot scratch on this gun from having to work the ss overtime to get it into the receiver because the ss doesn't engage the slide stop plunger pin correctly and needs extra 'encouragement' to get in.

Thanks in advance for any guidance/wisdom!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Get another 1911 in your hand and look closely at the slide stop lug. It is always good to compare with a pistol without the problem. Most aftermarket parts are made oversized for custom fitting. I just put one in before Christmas. I think it was a Wilson combat made part. I remember doing quite a bit if filing/polishing before I liked how it worked.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Take it down a couple thousandths at a time and try again until the issue goes away.

That's what I've been doing with mine. Repolish it in 2 stages, first with red rouge and second with white rouge and it ends up looking like jewelry, totally hiding any filing marks.

Just a little at a time, go out and shoot it, come back and see how much more needs to come off. Also if you have a means to spec the part out, I would suggest fully specing it and writing everything down as you make alterations.

If you're worried about losing the ability for the magazine to trip it on the last round, just remember to keep an eye on engagement with all your various magazines and you should have a good idea of how much room you have to safely alter it.

Top Bottom