• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    I don't have any shooting experience with the Taurus PT22/PT25 pistols. But when I've compared these side-by-side with the Beretta Bobcat, it's clear that the Beretta machining/worksmanship is much higher-quality. I have nothing against Taurus (I have owned a couple of them)--but I think that the better investment may be to purchase a used Bobcat, which may be about the same as buying a new Taurus.

That being said, the PLY version does look cool:

22PLY_1.jpg

I like the scalloped grip serrations. The more I look at this photo, the more I want one! :draw:

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    A while back, I researched the older Taurus' versus the Beretta and the main difference is that the Beretta Bobcat is double action and then single action, where the Taurus is always double action. For this reason as well, I think many prefer the Beretta.

The new Taurus are double action only as well.

Something else to consider...but I do like the Taurus styling a lot...

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I haven't fired the 22PLY version or even held one yet, but I have shot a few of the PT22 models. They were okay. I have nothing against Taurus and own Taurus firearms, but the Beretta does have better quality. I saw the pics of the 22PLY awhile back and kind of like the new look. The PT22s I shot all functioned okay with specific ammo.

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    Interesting tidbit I've been reading about online--apparently, Taurus recommends against using hypervelocity ammunition (like CCI Stinger or Velocitor rounds) in the PT22 series. I've read about PT22s being damaged by using this ammunition.

I only carry Velocitors in my Beretta Bobcat, and they appear to function just fine. Although I've heard of some Bobcats that don't function well, mine functions just fine as long as it's clean, and I've not heard of a Bobcat breaking through use of hypervelocity ammo.

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    I used to have a Taurus PT-25, and never had a single issue with it. No jams, etc. Despite the fact that the gun didn't serve any real purpose for me, I kinda wish I still had it. I liked it for some reason.

In any case, more people seem to be happy with the .25acp versions of these small Taurus guns than the .22 My guess is that it's because the .22lr is more prone to feeding problems. Sure is a lot cheaper than .25acp, though.

Sweetums

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake County
    I've owned several Taurus pistols and liked 'em all - except the PT22. I haven't toyed with the PLY22 or any PT22/25 in the last several years. The PT22 that I had was finicky. I keep my firearms clean, but that thing had to be kept meticulous to function perfectly.

Top Bottom