• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    In the 25+ years that I've carried a handgun I count myself lucky that I've never had to shoot someone and pray I never do! In those 25 years I've only had one instance where I had to pull my weapon and point it at someone. It was one night while fishing out at Geist Resevoir back in the mid 80's. A buddy and I were fishing just down from the bridge on Fallcreek about 3 in the morning when a man came and stood above us on the roadway. My buddy speaks up and says " how ya doin"? with no response from the guy. He stands there for a moment then climbs over the guardrail to make his way down to us at which point my buddy asks "something we can help you with"? still no response. I hadn't been paying much attention and had my back to the guy up until now so I get up, turn around to see this guy is about 30 feet from us with some type of stick or club in his hand. I say to him "man asked if we could help ya with something" Still no response and still coming, just staring at us without a word. I realize that this can't be good so, I pull my gun, point it at him and ask "now, is there something I can help you with"? Guy stops dead in his tracks, doesn't say a word, turns around and scrambles up the hill and over the guardrail. We were both like, WTF!!! and my buddy says "that was creepy". CREEPY HELL!,I asked him why he ever let the guy get that close and he said he just wasn't thinking but was glad I was. We fished for about an hour longer, didn't catch anything and never saw another person that night. I'm glad I didn't have to shoot but am glad I had the resources to end the situation.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Got Another..

During the "Blizzard of '78'", 2:00AM, heading into Indy on Pendleton Pike, stopped at Post Rd. to clear ice from wipers, on my new Ford F-250 4X4, with 7 1/2' Myers blade.
    A small truck comes out of a lot, pulls up ahead and to the left of me about 50 feet away. The guy on the pass side yells for me to come over to their truck=they have a "snow job" for me..I tell them that I am already headed to a job..They yell a couple of more times+then the pass gets out of the truck+heads toward me. I'm outside of my truck, on the drivers side, unzip my Field Jacket, reach to unsnap my Colt Commander+turn toward said person.. He can see that I'm not fooling around+he makes an about face-back into their truck. They cross two lanes on SR67, to the right+turn N. on Post Rd.
    Never know for sure, but I think things would have been different had I not had my 45 that night????:dunno::draw: Bill.........

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Great stories. I hope I never have to shoot anyone either. It would be tough to live with, but I am glad I the means to end a bad situation that could be the end of me as well.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    In the 25+ years that I've carried a handgun I count myself lucky that I've never had to shoot someone and pray I never do! In those 25 years I've only had one instance where I had to pull my weapon and point it at someone. It was one night while fishing out at Geist Resevoir back in the mid 80's. A buddy and I were fishing just down from the bridge on Fallcreek about 3 in the morning when a man came and stood above us on the roadway. My buddy speaks up and says " how ya doin"? with no response from the guy. He stands there for a moment then climbs over the guardrail to make his way down to us at which point my buddy asks "something we can help you with"? still no response. I hadn't been paying much attention and had my back to the guy up until now so I get up, turn around to see this guy is about 30 feet from us with some type of stick or club in his hand. I say to him "man asked if we could help ya with something" Still no response and still coming, just staring at us without a word. I realize that this can't be good so, I pull my gun, point it at him and ask "now, is there something I can help you with"? Guy stops dead in his tracks, doesn't say a word, turns around and scrambles up the hill and over the guardrail. We were both like, WTF!!! and my buddy says "that was creepy". CREEPY HELL!,I asked him why he ever let the guy get that close and he said he just wasn't thinking but was glad I was. We fished for about an hour longer, didn't catch anything and never saw another person that night. I'm glad I didn't have to shoot but am glad I had the resources to end the situation.

In 26 years of having a handgun, I've had to take out 3 times each time, the moron had smarten up enough to realize it wasn't worth getting shot over the incident. One time I was going to get carjacked, another time a jealous ex & his friend didn't like me dating his ex-girlfriend, & the last time was 4 body builders thinking they were going to be slapping me around:rolleyes: Were they shocked, when I decide to defend myself:draw:

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Great stories. I hope I never have to shoot anyone either. It would be tough to live with, but I am glad I the means to end a bad situation that could be the end of me as well.

Living with this would beat being dead IMO. I carry everywhere since I got my LTCH, my wife asked me why, to which I replied because I will protect my family, plain and simple.

Lord willing I never have to shoot someone, but my family and I living is my first priority.

-MColford

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I've carried a handgun for most of my adult life and I hope to continue to carry until I die. But I pray every day I never have to use it to defend myself.

WhoDaThunk?RN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Franklin township
    I decided to carry after an incident at work. I am a nurse and visit people at their home. I did an admission one night, made a follow up phone call to that person just as someone was breaking into their home. We were disconnected and i called 911 and the police responded and arrested the person. My thought is..A) i could easily have been there and then what would have happened, B) I have too much to live for to not prepare/protect myself.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

:wow:

That story gave me goose bumps...Thanks for sharing.

I'm happy to say that I've never had to point a gun at anybody...I've had one pointed at me though(no, I wasn't breaking the law).

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    In '98 I lived in Lawrence and my girl friend, (now wife), lived in Southport. I had fallen asleep on her couch and woke at about 1:30 am. I headed home and when I reached the RR tracks at 46th & Franklin rd. a train was at the crossing. I was the only car stopped and I was in the right lane. In a minute, a black Chrysler Laberon pulled up on my left. I glanced at the driver, a young black male who was giving me a blinkless, icy stare. Moments later I see a red lazer dot dancing around inside my car. I thinking " Oh Lord, I'm going to be a Sport-Shoot" Just 2 weeks before, a young woman was killed in a gang style Sport-Shoot near Butler Univ. I glance at the driver and still see him staring but no weapon. He was holding it low in the seat below the window sill and he had turned it off. I pulled my Tokerev 7.62X25 and chambered a round. I pointed it at him but just under the window, out of his sight. This whole time he didn't blink from his stare. I decided; If he raises his hand, I'll empty my gun through my window, his window, door and into him. All that time I tried to remain calm and pretend I didn't see the red dot. The train passed and I saw the dot again. I leaned down in the seat and raised my gun for him too see. He burned rubber to leave the area. His car had a temp. plate. I arrived home, called LPD, gave a discription and that was the end of it.
    Point of interest; 7.62X25 cuts through car doors like cardboard.

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Living with this would beat being dead IMO. I carry everywhere since I got my LTCH, my wife asked me why, to which I replied because I will protect my family, plain and simple.

Lord willing I never have to shoot someone, but my family and I living is my first priority.

-MColford
    I absolutely agree with you it is better than being dead. I would not hesitate to defend myself or my family. I just know as a God fearing man, it would take some dealing with mentally after the fact is all.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    BassplayrGuy - you are right, it would take some dealing with. I'm not going to argue that, but while that may weigh on your mind, I think knowing you saved innocent life in your action would offset it some.

SonovaSailor - that's a wild situation. Very well handled.

-MColford

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    sometime back in 90 walking out of a wal-mart a guy bumps into my buddy. I didn't even know it had happened, we had gotten into the company van & next thing I know I have a fist coming through the glass & the guy was halfway in the van. I wasn't even the one that bumped into him, but he was coming after me. so I have my hand on my 9 mm in getting ready to pull it when his buddy yanks him out & drags him to the car. We are sitting there watching him just waiting to see what would happen next. This guy grabs his gf's hair while she is trying to keep him in the car. I know I was very lucky that night, but he was even luckier.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I am from Illinois only about 10 miles from Indiana but have had a Florida CCW permit since 2003. I have never had to pull or display a handgun in that time but one time I was very happy to have had it. Last June I was working as a SO at the state IDPA in Atlanta Indiana. That Saturday morning at 4:30 or so I pulled into the I74 rest stop just into Indiana to retrieve my handgun from the saddlebag where I had to carry it to be legal in Illinois. I pulled in down to the end where there were no other vehicles and it was quite dark. Before I can get it into the holster here comes somebody walking across the lot directly toward me. I just slipped the gun under my arm and asked him what he wanted. He was panhandling for "gas money." After I said no a couple times he got the message and walked away. Was asking for money his only plan or was he feeling me out, I will never know. What I do know is that I felt a whole lot better having that insurance. Jim.

WhoDaThunk?RN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Franklin township
    Man sonovasailor that's pretty scarey...that wasn't too far from where my patient's home was broken into. I am pretty new to CC, and never thought I'd carry just to go to the grocery store..but just got back from the store, and I didn't go alone. :nono: (and I'm not talking about my toddler either).

Top Bottom