• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Soooooo.....I finally reformed some.357 magnum into.256 win mag.... however, I can only find loads for 60 grain and 75 grain bullets. Does anyone have a link to load data for heavier bullets ..???

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I have an old Universal carbine. I bought it cheaper than the dies to reload it. Apparently, not being able to buy ammo affects the value. Hopefully I will get to shoot it soon.

ranger391xt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2019
    West Lafayette
    Here is info from the Lyman #45 manual.

The Lyman 46th has the same data for the 75 gr and 86 gr jacketed bullets.
    1b3b23fceb58de846b549ae858d56315.jpg

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I form it also, I use Dan Wesson 360 brass because it has a thicker web around the rim. I cant think of the weight of the mold I bought last year for it from another member. Its a vintage Lyman mold.
    I have two Contendet barrels and octagon 10" and a Super 14.
    Super fun little cartridge.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I had a couple hundred cases from some Indiana varmint hunting supply, around Huntington (Winchester .357 they formed). Also had legit .256 cases, WW, new, and a couple boxes of WW ammo (white box and yellow box). Family member had TC Contender barrels, rifle and pistol.

Had two boxes of jacketed 60gr bullets and a couple moulds to cast too.

All gone (sorry).

Now the only oddball I have left is .219 Donaldson Wasp.

Do think a Bowen K frame conversion to .256 would be cool, but they aint cheap (3500 IIRC).

Haven't seen a Ruger Hawkeye in forever.

I never shot anything w the .256win. Got out of the Contender game myself, am down to just one.......35 rem.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I had a couple hundred cases from some Indiana varmint hunting supply, around Huntington (Winchester .357 they formed). Also had legit .256 cases, WW, new, and a couple boxes of WW ammo (white box and yellow box). Family member had TC Contender barrels, rifle and pistol.

Had two boxes of jacketed 60gr bullets and a couple moulds to cast too.

All gone (sorry).

Now the only oddball I have left is .219 Donaldson Wasp.

Do think a Bowen K frame conversion to .256 would be cool, but they aint cheap (3500 IIRC).

Haven't seen a Ruger Hawkeye in forever.

I never shot anything w the .256win. Got out of the Contender game myself, am down to just one.......35 rem.
    LOL.
    I know I got at least two of your dads molds from you. I think I got the jacketed bullets too.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I make my brass from 22 Remington Jet by necking them up and fireforming them. PPU makes 22 Remington Jet brass.
    What are you shooting with 256?

I did it that way up to a few years ago, the dan wesson 360 cases have a thicker web in them. Case life in my contender barrels was cut short with loosing primer pockets after a few pretty warm loads.
    PPU's Jet brass seems to hold up well with what I have shot through a mod 53 smith.

Last edited:

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    This cartridge has intrigued me since learning of it. Have an Uncle that has a Levermatic chambered for it. He swears it’s a laser out to 150 yards, great for varmints. The extent of my knowledge is it is based on the 357mag. And was offered in the Levermatic and a Ruger Hawkeye single shot.
    Dump some knowledge on me.

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    It's a .357 necked down to 256. Commercially it was a flop. Was offered in a single shot handgun based on the single six frame. The levermatic magazine fed. It would have made a good bolt gun, though I know of none. Contender made barrels for it. Mine is a custom win 92. It makes a nice little lever cartridge. It's more powerful than the .25-20. But less than the .257 Roberts.

Top Bottom