• ...and so much more!
  • Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Love 28ga, good on everything but larger waterfowl. (With modern ammo).

What is your budget.
    There is a cz bob white SxS around $700
    Dolled up specail editon browning grand lighting o/u for $4k
    Or a prudy and sons at $70k.
    Lots of options in between those 3. Even 3 inch semi autos now.

If your good for none special edition browning citoris. $2200-$3k. There is the upland gun company. They make a gun how you want. These guns are all light desgind for hunting. Plenty of stuff on line about them.
    That's it. The Bobwhite, not the Ringneck.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    If you look at the various standard shotshell loadings you have..
    10,12,16,20,28,32 and 410. Those are all the ones that ended up with SAAMI standard specs.

But lets look at the two smaller in between shells....

32b.jpg

Honestly, 28 and 410 are the ones that should have disappeared. But 410 was kept around because the shared case head with the various 45 rifle cartridges. And if your keeping 410, well you might as well go with 28 as it fits between 20 and 410 well.

But honestly if 12 ,20 , and 32 would have been "Main" cartridges, I think it would have been better.

The wife has a 32, and it is a pain to get shells for... thankfully Federal carries them.
    FP_N1328_32gaGameLoad_Combo_R.jpg

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you look at the various standard shotshell loadings you have..
    10,12,16,20,28,32 and 410. Those are all the ones that ended up with SAAMI standard specs.

But lets look at the two smaller in between shells....

32b.jpg

Honestly, 28 and 410 are the ones that should have disappeared. But 410 was kept around because the shared case head with the various 45 rifle cartridges. And if your keeping 410, well you might as well go with 28 as it fits between 20 and 410 well.

But honestly if 12 ,20 , and 32 would have been "Main" cartridges, I think it would have been better........
    28ga and 410 have been part of registered sheet for a long time. And sporting clays as well. But skeet is an older game.

28ga is a very efficient cartridge. Better than 410.

Also 410 has always been a great squirrel and turkey cartridge for a good part of the USA. That has definitely help keep it around. Any cartridge that dies off or grows is because ppl buy it. Alot of 30-30 and 45 colt are still around. They should have went the way of 32 bore. Better things have come along.

That's it. The Bobwhite, not the Ringneck.
    The ringneck was replaced by the sharptail 7 years ago or so. Bob white is English stock double. The ringneck is a prince of whales single triger. Sharptail is single trigger pistol grip

bgarman47

File Jockey
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 8, 2023
    Ossian
    The gun shop I worked for back in PA got in an Iver Johnson single shot in 32ga. We didn't really have a clue how to price it, so tossed it on GunBroker. It sold for nearly $1700. We were dumbfounded!

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Saw bass pro had a bunch of tristar semi autos in. Had to sell them used being they bought them from dicks when they got out of firearms.

BlueDrew2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Hancock Co
    Been drooling over some of the lightweight 28s for a long time now. Missed out on a franchi 48al in 28ga for much cheaper than it should've been due to a stock cut quite Short. Still kick myself on that one. Sooner or later I'll pick one up. Nice lightweight guns.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    That one I can safely say is all but obsolete.

When they extended the 12 gauge to 3.5 inch magnums, they literally obsoleted the 10.
    Saw, & heard, a 10ga only once ten or so years ago. Probably the 1st I've heard 10 even mentioned since then. Not a goose hunter tho. 28 ga still seen & discussed often, something to be said for petite I guess:dunno:
    20230802_135315.jpg

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Saw, & heard, a 10ga only once ten or so years ago. Probably the 1st I've heard 10 even mentioned since then. Not a goose hunter tho. 28 ga still seen & discussed often, something to be said for petite I guess:dunno:
    View attachment 290628
    10 Gauge was at its last, a niche cartridge... for those as you said who blasted Goose at high altitude. The Remington SP-10 was the go to.

Finding anything other than goose loads (BBs etc), is a challenge in the caliber, and when you do.. it is an occasional 10 gauge slug, or buckshot load. Nothing I would consider target or in the #6 or #7 shot range.

Someone will occasionally have a single barrel break action cut down to 18 inches for the laughs in 10 gauge.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I see quite a few 10 gauges in use. Usually with brass shells, always with black powder! Quite impressive at a night shoot!!!
    I asked a guy one time how much powder was in his shells. He smiled big and said "All of it." He wasn't lyin.

Top Bottom