• ...and so much more!
  • Myrradah

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 86.7%
    13   2   0
    Jul 11, 2023
    Lafayette
    So, doing a lot of reading and would like to verify what im reading so i dont brake stuff.

If I wanted to reload 30-06 - I use a 308 die?

is there better options for specific 30-06 and is it even worth it. Id be reloading for my newly acquired M1 garand and the reloading data in Hornady books.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My experience with Garands is that they like medium burning powders, my favorite being 3031. I also run ammo loaded the same way in my BAR and 1917A1. Works without issue.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    You need 30-06 dies. And lube. It's a long case.

I found 30-06 very easy to reload for Garand. My go-to is 46gn Varget or the Shooter's World equivalent, and 150gn pulled .308 bullets. It's a mild load, works great. Once in a long while I get a little feed hiccup, which is probably due to seating to cannelure on the .308 bullets. Their profile is a little different from the original M2 bullets.

There's a lot of extra room in the case compared to .308. Several other medium burn powders are available that are known to work great.

One thing you do have to look out for is that the charge range for 30-06 in the book goes a lot higher than you really need or want for a Garand. For some powders, you can hunt around and find M1-specific loadings. If not, just start low, and stop when it's comfortable and runs the gun. If you don't have a chrono, consider picking up some PPU M1 specific ammo and "shoulder dyno" it alongside your reloads.

Myrradah

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 86.7%
    13   2   0
    Jul 11, 2023
    Lafayette
    You need 30-06 dies. And lube. It's a long case.

I found 30-06 very easy to reload for Garand. My go-to is 46gn Varget or the Shooter's World equivalent, and 150gn pulled .308 bullets. It's a mild load, works great. Once in a long while I get a little feed hiccup, which is probably due to seating to cannelure on the .308 bullets. Their profile is a little different from the original M2 bullets.

There's a lot of extra room in the case compared to .308. Several other medium burn powders are available that are known to work great.

One thing you do have to look out for is that the charge range for 30-06 in the book goes a lot higher than you really need or want for a Garand. For some powders, you can hunt around and find M1-specific loadings. If not, just start low, and stop when it's comfortable and runs the gun. If you don't have a chrono, consider picking up some PPU M1 specific ammo and "shoulder dyno" it alongside your reloads.
    Thanks!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yes, it's worth it. If by 308 you mean 308 Winchester dies, no. You will use .30-06 dies to size, deprime, seat and crimp.
    THIS. VERY different cartridges.

308-vs-30-06.jpg

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have, he is just traveling right now and i like to get multiple inputs.
    Stop right there.

If you have knowledgeable help, use them. Stop looking for random internet people you know nothing about to tell you how to do stuff they know nothing about. You already have at least one person you KNOW to help you and you have AT LEAST ONE person on this thread who is the most knowledgeable person I KNOW offering you help.

Now how do your sort out the people who don't know squat but slept at a Holiday Inn last night?

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I would suggest that you go to The CMP Forums, it has a lot of info regarding reloading for the M1 Garand. While there you may want to do a search for a user named Ceresco, he has several posts regarding using 110-125 grain bullets for out to 200 yrds in a Garand, less recoil, easier on the rifle, and accurate with appropriate powders.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Definitely 30-06 Dies & take note of the Caution about Bullet weights noted in most Reloading manuals.
    Bullets heavier than 168g will Damage the Op Rod in your Garand.
    For 30-06 Bolt guns, any bullet wt is fine; however, the Garand is Different.

Myrradah

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 86.7%
    13   2   0
    Jul 11, 2023
    Lafayette
    Stop right there.

If you have knowledgeable help, use them. Stop looking for random internet people you know nothing about to tell you how to do stuff they know nothing about. You already have at least one person you KNOW to help you and you have AT LEAST ONE person on this thread who is the most knowledgeable person I KNOW offering you help.

Now how do your sort out the people who don't know squat but slept at a Holiday Inn last night?
    Well My dog passed away and she was awesome. My friend for 15 years.
    so I like to chat to people now and then rather than the ghost of my dog :)

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Well My dog passed away and she was awesome. My friend for 15 years.
    so I like to chat to people now and then rather than the ghost of my dog :)
    With all due respect to your dog, separate the 2 different issues here and pay attention to safety so you don't blow up your rifle in your face. 30-06 dies and a current loading manual is your best friend. Load moderate loads...and wait for trustworthy advice if necessary.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Definitely 30-06 Dies & take note of the Caution about Bullet weights noted in most Reloading manuals.
    Well, thats really not true sir. Uncle Sam's Match ammo for the Garand was loaded with 173 grain match bullets. Its quite safe to run heavier bullet's once an adjustable gas plug has been installed.

M7212251-2T.jpg

Reale1741

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 22, 2020
    Jeffersonville
    I agree with @Creedmoor , the M1 Garand was actually designed to shoot the M1 Ball round, which was a 174gn boat tail projectile. That round was the standard round for the Garand up until around 1941 when they started rolling out the M2 Ball round. Here is a picture of the M1 and M2 Ball projectiles side by side. Both pulled from surplus .30-06 rounds.

1703206352815.png

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I found this on on the CMP sales page. This is now the CMP recommendation for ammo.

Dear CMP Family,

The CMP advises to not use .30/06 ammunition in M1 Garands, 1903s, and 1903A3s that is loaded beyond 50,000 CUP and has a bullet weight more than 172-174gr. These rifles are at least 70 years old and were not designed for max loads and super heavy bullets. Always wear hearing and eye protection when firing an M1 Garand, 1903 and/or 1903A3 rifle.

I have used 110 gr bullets, and 150 gr bullets in the M1 Garand at 100 yrs without any problem. My main powder is IMR 4895, I prefer IMR 4064, but it isn't always available, I also like Varget when it is available as well, it is very similiar to IMR 4064.

Top Bottom