• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Stopped by the Greenwood Rural King gun barn this evening. They had a S&W EZ in 30 Super Carry. Did a little surfing to compare it with .380 and 9MM. The 30 falls just above midway between .380 and 9MM. Looks like it's only advantage is slightly more magazine capacity. Not enough to consider IMO. It was interesting that they had the gun but, of course, they had no ammo. Ammo is available online. None for me, thank you.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The 30 falls just above midway between .380 and 9MM.
    It's much closer to 9mm in ballstics and performance. Don't know why they call it 30 Super Carry, it's a .312 bullet. Should have called it a .32 Super.

30SC.PNG

Interesting caliber, but for me personally, I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze. Fourteen rounds of 9mm in a Shield Plus is good enough, don't see a need for 2 more rounds of a caliber that might not stick around long.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I haven't shot one but that won't stop me from commenting....

It seems soooo close to 9mm, that in a given platform, shoot-ability would be all but identical. With the high availability and low cost (now and future) of 9mm, I just don't get 30SC.

They should have brought back 356TSW....

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Or maybe .32 French Longer

It's pure marketing. 32? that's one of them tiny mouse guns. Now 30, that's a real caliber. You ever heard of a 30 cal machine gun? two world wars.

This makes the most sense.

I do wonder if this might be a hedge against a possible prohibition on the use of ‘military’ cartridges in some jurisdictions. Right now, I have no need for this in the family. When I’m 95 and the slide on a mighty 9mm gets a bit tough to rack, maybe. Then again, I’ll probably be more than happy with my Model 10 and Model 60 for self defense if I make it that far.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I'm actually surprised the 30 SC preforms as well as it does. I doubt it will replace the 9mm because the ammunition availability and price is not as good as 9mm, and probably never will be.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'll not forget that they were producing this brand new cartridge while they couldn't produce enough 9mm to meet demand. Prices on the standard 9mm cartridge tripled while Federal was ****ing around with a new cartridge marketing scheme.

It'll be a while before any of my dollars are favorable to be spent on anything with Federal name on it.

Top Bottom