• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    416 stainless? 416R stainless? 4140 chromoly steel? I am looking to convert my AR pistol from 5.56 to 300 blackout. I see Ebay has some for sale but the barrel materials are different for a lot of them. I was wondering if one of these materials is cheap junk or if they're all basically good barrel materials. It seems there are lots of barrels these days with no name brand, so are they good barrels or are there junk ones floating around? Has anyone ever heard of a 300 blackout barrel being very inaccurate?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Did some googling, you can, too. One site was talking 416 down. Another says 4140 is fine, 4150 is harder but disproportionately more expensive. My inclination from what I've seen is 4140, but I'd say go get yourself confused :)

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I went with a 416R from Core Rifle Systems. I am still in the process of working up some loads for it. My last trip out I had holes touching at a certain charge of powder and cant wait to finish up the project and go kill some hogs with it. They seem to be a stand up company with a great warranty.

I would go to 300blacktalk.com and do a search. Great place to hang if into the 300.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I would also add that if you want accuracy go with stainless and if you are no into gun cleaning and like rapid fire go with cromo

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks for the advice. I went with the 8" 416R fluted barrel a guy was selling on eBay. It's an ER Shaw blank and finished by a place called LJ Parts. We'll see how it works out. I haven't found anything on the internet that says staw away from either company, but then again I didn't read all 1 million threads about AR barrels.

Top Bottom