• ...and so much more!
  • asquires2

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ive noticed that alot of guys shoot 38 ammo out of their 357 revolvers. I understand the fact 38 is cheeper than 357 and its easier to practice with but is there any other reason?

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    What other reason could there be? Less violent practice at about half the price...what more could you ask for?

When I had mine, I usually put a box or two or .38's down range, and a cylinder or 2 of .357 per trip.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    What other reason could there be? Less violent practice at about half the price...what more could you ask for?

When I had mine, I usually put a box or two or .38's down range, and a cylinder or 2 of .357 per trip.
    I still haven't shot any 38 SPECIALS out of my 357 MAGNUM, cause it's a pain in the butt to shoot the 38, I have to remove the recoil spring & switch it.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I sorta split the difference. My standard all-purpose handload that I use in all of my .357 revolvers and carbines is basically a moderately-warm +P .38 Spl. load in .357 cases: whatever 158 gr. LSWC is handiest over 5.7 gr. of Unique and a WW SP primer.

Inexpensive to produce, nicely accurate in most all of my guns and powerful enough to handle all of my routine tasks just dandy. Plus, I don't have to fret over having to scrub any fouling "ring" out of the chambers before switching to full-power Magnum ammo.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Long long ago I remember reading that the 148 gr wadcutter in the 38 came out to match some magic formula for dia/length and because of that was in the sweet spot for accuracy. And in my experience proves that out with low velocity rounds. My favorite load for a 38 spl is 3.0 gr of Bullseye behind a flat base 148 grain w/c, which even in a 38 case can cause problems with powder density/case volume. Move that load to a 357 loading and the problem is amplified by the larger case.

So moving beyond that, I love shooting hot loads through my 357, no doubt. But shooting wrist breakers all day at a piece of paper isn't going to give you the same "practice" that shooting target loads is. I can shoot my target 38 load "all day", the wrist breakers, a half hour of that and I'm ready to move on to something else. So for me I would have to say I shoot 38's because I can comfortably shoot a whole lot more, and when I go shooting it's an all day event, hate to get all worn out in the first hour...

Top Bottom