• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tazwolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Been using LP primers on mag and been having misfires on SR primers on my max. Would it be safe to use the LP primers on the max

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    LP primers will not fit in SP or SR primer pockets.

What powder are you using? Are you crimping your cases? Magnum pistol powders generally require a firm crimp for reliable ignition. SR primers should be wholly adquate to light the fire.

If you are having misfires also check that you are getting a good dimple on the primer from the firing pin (iow, it may be the gun, not the ammo)

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I think that's a typo, unless you're using some really, really, REALLY old brass. You can't load 357 Mag with LP primers.

Misfires with SR primers? Need more info. Please post your load data.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I use SR in both of my max's with no problems; I too wonder if you aren't getting light hits.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is this out of a rifle? What type? I know handi rifles have had a problem with light strikes at times I think due to a transfer bar problem. Either way I would think the misfire would be a firearm problem not a load problem, assuming when you say misfire you mean click....nothing....

tazwolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Try to answer all all the question I have stirred up. Its a thompson contender. Been just firing primers to see if its the gun or old primers. Here what I have been trying its sp in the mag and sr for the max. Thought dia of all primers were the same except for hardness Thanks to everyone for the advice Found two problems one broken hammer spring and hammer extension.

Top Bottom