• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    For plinking, if you can workup a safe load, sure. OAL might be too long?????

But for SD, probably not. .380 has, until recently, been a penetrate OR expand. Some of the newest SD loads are getting real close to both at the same time.

Load some up and gel test them.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    If I recall correctly, the problem with the heavier and longer bullets in 380 is, it makes an unsightly bulge in the case because of the length.
    Heck, make a dummy cartridge to get an idea of the logistics.
    PS, you're going to lose powder capacity too.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    If I recall correctly, the problem with the heavier and longer bullets in 380 is, it makes an unsightly bulge in the case because of the length.
    That’s another good point. Might need to use something like the Lee factory crimp die to squeeze the completed round back down so it’ll chamber properly.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

I believe some .380 cases have a higher web area (for lack of better terminology). Look inside your cases and some manufacturers may actually appear to have a small step in bullet seating area. If no step exists then the bulges occur with heavier bullets.

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    Don’t have any of them to test or the powder. I was offered some @ $.25 per. The load data I was given was I think 714 fps with oal of .950 and I forget how many grains he said of hodgdon hp-38. Besides that I just cobbed onto some critical defense from a buddy so I will never know what might have been. Could have been the load of the century. Thanks fella’s.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    The heaviest I loaded for 380 was a Sierra 115 JHP in a Walther PPK/S. The load was reliable and reasonably accurate but hit higher on target. I loaded them mostly out of curiosity , most of the time I load 90 grain Hornady XTPs.

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    The only thing I’ve ran in it has been 95gr umc rn and a couple boxes of critical defense both fire smoothly but not anything that comes close to what you would call moa out of the little colt. I just have it in my pocket when outside doing yard stuff. Mostly for killing moles and bear attacks.

Greffy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2019
    Los Angeles County
    Probably could be accomplished, but would likely not happen with off the shelf bullets. I remember seeing some writeup, maybe a magazine article, about extra heavy weight .45 ACP (I think) loads and they had a 'custom' bullet with a cone on the base so the length of the bullet for the weight, wouldn't run into the taper towards the base of the brass and make a troublesome bulge. Bottom line, better easier solutions to whatever problem this would be supposed to 'solve'.

Top Bottom