• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brian@ITC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Richmond, IN
    There are a lot of things to take into consideration when developing a home defense plan. I wrote an article regarding home defense and it got published on USCCA’s website. So, instead of posting it here, you can visit their site and then post any comments here.

I sincerely hope that you get something out of this article that makes you reevaluate your plan.

Regards,

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Excellent article Brian. The only thing I would have covered differently would have been that of the home upkeep. I've known, met, talked to people involved in criminalistic behavior and the appearance of a home being well taken care of is often more inviting rather than deterring. Otherwise, good article.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Excellent article Brian. The only thing I would have covered differently would have been that of the home upkeep. I've known, met, talked to people involved in criminalistic behavior and the appearance of a home being well taken care of is often more inviting rather than deterring. Otherwise, good article.

Thanks for that. It will shorten my "Honey Do" list this weekend.:rockwoot:

As someone who had an attempted home invasion two years ago it's important that you realize that the deterrents you were talking about; i.e. security signs, ADT, lights on, dog, etc...do not matter as much as they did even a couple of years ago. A "hot" home invasion is the standard now and the alarm deterrent is a joke. As the responding officer told me "ADT tells them you have something worth protecting and when they bust in and the alarm goes off they will grab your spouse or child and say turn it off or I will cut/shoot." The best thing you can do is to secure your entrance with better locks and a stronger door. That may buy you 15-20 seconds more than you had as they begin kicking the door in. That's alot of time to better prepare for what is coming through that door.

It's harsher times now. I still have my ADT, keep the shrubs trimmed, etc....but I am under no illusion that I am detrering anyone. And all I am doing by securing my door better is buying myself 15 more seconds which could make the difference between seeing tomorrow or not.

All of this offered IMHO. I have no videos of proper carrying techniques that others should use or articles. Just one bad experiance and what I learned from it.

edit. Here is the link written a couple of days after our New Years Eve surprise. I read this once a week to keep it as fresh in my mind as I can.

http://ferfal.blogspot.com/2010/01/home-invasion.html

Last edited:

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Of everything in the artical the dog has probably stopped more bad guys than everything else.

Brian@ITC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Richmond, IN
    Of everything in the artical the dog has probably stopped more bad guys than everything else.

Could not agree more!!! That's why I have 3 BIG dogs. Just in case one gets full from chewing you up, the others will finish. :D

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Big dogs would be nice,but even a little dog that goes off at the jiggle of a door handle is a good line of defense.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I always have large territorial breeds. (Rotties preferably) Incredibly smart and very protective. With their size and nature they seem to strike a special chord of fear in the hearts of typical "hood rats" in my experience.

Top Bottom