• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    .40 is more readily available and cheaper. Personally I would skip both the 10mm and .40 and just get a .45acp. But if I had to choose, I would probably go with either a 10mm glock or a 10mm 1911... not a big fan of .40.

10mm availability has improved a lot recently. I've surprisingly found 10mm almost everywhere I've gone recently.

Local Rural King just got in something like 500 rounds of Armscor. I've also seen Federal, Am Eagle, and Hornady rather ubiquitously.

Bass Pro in north Cincy had a bad of Starline brass for 10mm that I almost bought even though I own not a single piece of reloading gear (yet). Starline's website has had 10mm sold out for several months.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It's true what hohn says. It's out there.

Not cheap, of course - it never has been.

I've bought several boxes in the past several months just because I had spare cash at that time (I don't have anything chambered in 10mm Auto - yet).

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The appeal of 10mm is versatility, especially in the G20 platform. A G20 can be a four-caliber gun just by barrel swapping (I'm including the 9x25 Dillon).

There's no other handgun caliber at all to my knowledge that can easily convert to shoot bullets as light as 80gr (Barnes) or 90gr (XTPs) and has heavy as 220grain (Buffalo Bore).

You can find commercially loaded factory rounds that range from the 9x25 Dillon pushing 125gr at 1700fps to a full house hardcast 220gr Buffalo Bore moving at 1140fps. (got penetration?)

I know of some rather versatile revolver loadings for .357 and .44mag that will cover a wide range of bullet weights and speeds. But for an autoloading caliber? What other caliber even comes close to the versatility of the 10mm?

Nothing that I could find.

Oh, and I just learned about this hardcast .40SW loading from Buffalo Bore:
    detail_347_23F_Medium.jpg

200gr at 1k fps!

Top Bottom