• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I suppose I could extrapolate from this recent thread for 9mm, but my quick figuring the other day determined it was not worth my time to reload 40 if I can get a case of factory ammo at $0.20/round, which I just did. My preference is 180 FMJ bullets. I do have the great majority of equipment to reload except the dies. I had also bought 1000 rounds of brass decades ago and have saved most of what I've shot recently. Even without brass cost though it appeared like it would be nearly $150 for the bullets, primers and powder for 1000 rounds. Does that seem reasonable or too high?

The thread for 9mm, which I'd like to move to soon, hinted that there wasn't much savings unless using cast bullets, which I don't want.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    You should be able to get 180 grain copper plated bullets for around .10 per bullet if you are willing to buy bulk (about 2500 from Xtreme Bullets). From there depending on your load it would be about .03 per primer and about .03ish depending on powder.

If you are reloading for strictly cost savings it would depend on your volume of shooting and how valuable you time is to you. It looks like you would save about .04 a round or $2 a box of 50 though.

Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    Hey! I posted the 9mm thread LoL. I am kinda on both sides one fence. Because any savings for me is great in my book but there are times it makes more sense to just buy factory. That's really only with smaller calibers though, some other things I load saves me tons of money (.44special, .223, 6.5carcano) so I think it depends.

For me personally, I enjoy reloading, it is like another hobby for me, but it does also save money (not always enough to make sense but I'm not worried about it)

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Reloading for me is more than just saving money, which it can, depending upon the caliber. Time is money, no doubt. If you can get factory ammo that works for you at a price point where it does not make sense for you to load it yourself, who can blame you!

Right now, supplies and ammo are plentiful, but you certainly can't count on that trend continuing. You are doing well to be collecting brass, don't stop that habit!!! You will be glad you have it someday.

The biggest reason to handload for me is that I can custom tailor the rounds to my needs and my guns. The ammo that I make is not a compromised ammo that will work reliably in every possible gun (like factory ammo has to), but it is created and crafted to be the best that it can be... for me. There is a lot of pride in that!

For plinking around, it probably doesn't matter a lot to most people, but for things when accuracy and reliability matters, I prefer my own brand.

I will say however, for personal defense, I *always* buy factory (Federal HST).

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    For me, time is pretty limited right now and hence don't think I'll reload at this time. I enjoyed doing it in the early 90s. I may get into some handgun competition but it will defensive style rather than bullseye so being the most accurate possible isn't a concern. My rifles are .22LR so that's not an issue either. Thanks for the confirmation.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I started collecting reloading supplies just before Sandy Hook.
    I didn't have near what I wanted before the tragedy, but I did have a good start.
    I didn't get into reloading for the savings, or even to be able to have the most accurate ammunition.
    I started reloading because I was tired of not being able to find ammo available commercially.

Shortly after Sandy Hook, in my neck of the woods, some calibers were just impossible to find, at any price.
    I vowed that won't happen again.
    I started loading so I could continue shooting.
    I plan to keep shooting for quite some time, regardless of the political winds...

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Part of reloading is being able to load exactly what you want, whether that be velocity, bullet weight, etc.

This. If you are simply shooting to plink and only shooting a thousand a year, reloading handgun ammo probably isn't worth it to you. Especially if you aren't running a progressive. If you are looking for a light recoil load to tailor to your gun so that you can increase speed while maintaining accuracy for drills or competition, then reloading is a must. Plus if you are shooting 5,000+ rounds a year, that extra $50-$60 per thousand really adds up to huge savings.

The biggest factor for me was my time and until I broke down and bought a progressive it just wasn't worth my time to reload pistol. Time is very important... once it's gone you can't get it back. So I understand the frustration. It's one reason I can't stand to see people getting into reloading being told to buy a single stage or turret. Sure, they are much easier to load on, but the real fact is that if you are only doing pistol then after you've made the switch to progressive it's a loss in money unless you found it used and got a good deal on it.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    The biggest factor for me was my time and until I broke down and bought a progressive it just wasn't worth my time to reload pistol. Time is very important... once it's gone you can't get it back. So I understand the frustration. It's one reason I can't stand to see people getting into reloading being told to buy a single stage or turret. Sure, they are much easier to load on, but the real fact is that if you are only doing pistol then after you've made the switch to progressive it's a loss in money unless you found it used and got a good deal on it.

Well said. I started with a Dillon 550 since the price point was manageable and from all the reviews, I knew it was a good one. I get maybe 10 days a year to sit down and reload, so the time standpoint was also big to me. With all equipment there is a learning curve, how fast you retain the information is up to you.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I loaded almost 15,000 pistol rounds last year. More than some, less than others, but still a good enough amount that I could have never done it on a single stage, and would have struggled with my turret press. The XL650 is what makes it go, although as @ckcollings2003 mentions, you need to factor in the cost of the press, dies, etc. if you are looking at cost savings. It will take many years to recoup those costs, and that is just to BREAK EVEN, not to mention the time spent!

I have however several types of tailor-made rounds for different guns and different uses, plus, I enjoy the journey.

Sometimes, I think how much "easier" and "cheaper" it would be to just buy factory rounds, but then I snap to it, and get back to the task of making my own awesome, custom rounds.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    \ It will take many years to recoup those costs, and that is just to BREAK EVEN, not to mention the time spent! Plus, I enjoy the journey.

I'm glad I started in my younger 20s, so I hopefully will have many more years to do just that. Right now is a bad time to be a reloader from a cost savings and need standpoint. Ammo is plentiful on every shelf of every shop for good prices. Once that changes, (I hope it doesn't) reloading will be the quite the investment.

Top Bottom