• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Can anyone point out or suggest a compact .40 with a frame safety? I have a friend that is set on this idea because he is now in a mind screw about carrying his glock. He has always carried unchambered and when I called him out on it and explained the problems with it... now he want's a new gun... lol... whatever.
    Your help appreciated with model suggestions.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    NRA basic pistol class ought to be cheaper and solve the problem with equal efficiency. And UT/FL/AZ permit targeted class would accomplish the same effect and let him travel to OH. Glock armorers course would also teach him that it's not going off unless he pulls the trigger. Oh and youtube [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_vu2xEN7kA[/ame] [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llM3SRu0W6g[/ame] [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEKM7W-_JtQ[/ame]

He could also install an aftermarket kit to put a fourth safety on the Glock (but at that point he might as well bubble wrap it)

Otherwise XD subcompact, M&P 40c with the ambi safety option, I think the EMP comes in a .40, if not there's definitely .40 S&W 1911s out there. If he's just fishing for an excuse to buy a new gun.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Does he want a manual safety, or a grip safety? I assume a grip safety would be an easier transition for him (not that any is particularly hard).

The XD would act very similar to his Glock, but does have a different "feel" to it.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    For some reason, he wants a thumb safety. Like 1911 style... I carried a glock for years and now an m&p, but he just does not believe me. Partially because a dumb a-- friend of his (and LEO) got drunk with a glock in his back pocket and it discharged in the bar...

Does anyone know if you can get the M&P with the thumb safety on the left side only for a right handed shooter?

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Para Ordnance makes 1911's chambered in 40 if I'm not mistaken or they used too.. I think it was called the Para P16.40.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I really like my SR9c, and it has a Ambi thumb safety. It is availiable in .40 also.

It would be worth a look at for him. Mine has performed flawlessly so far and the controls are still easy to manipulate. If he is switching platforms be sure to tell him to train a lot from the holster. I have always carried a sidearm with a thumb safety (just seemed to work out that way for some reason) and it is second nature for me to ride my thumb down the slide as I am drawing to disengage the safety. A lot of time drawing from the holster will pay dividends in the end.

Just so he knows that there is one more thing to forget if SHTF. If he forgets to disengage the safety it could do him more harm than good.

Top Bottom