• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lfacfp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    Berne
    I went to hodgdon site and could not find info on .44mag subsonic loads. Does anyone know where to find .44 mag subsonic load info?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Not meaning to sound like a wise guy, but we call those .44spl.

When bowling pin matches were popular, I used to load "magnum lites" that was the hottest .44spl load I could find with a 300 grain flat nosed wadcutter. (I usually added 1/2 a grain more) I loaded that load in a .44 mag brass because I didn't want to have to keep cleaning the lead build up out of the .44 mag cylinder.

They would grab and throw the pin off the table without all the muzzle rise of the 240 grain magnum load.

Last edited:

lfacfp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    Berne
    Thanks for the info. I have Horanady FTX 225gr though and could not find any loads to match that bullet in .44 spl. I could only find it in .44 mag. Am I able to use the bullets I have or am I going to have to find other bullets? I am a novice. Thanks

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    You have a couple ways to get there...

Different bullets, heavier bullets, or a different powder. Just because Hodgdon doesn't list it doesn't mean it cant be done.

There is a subsonic load listed with Universal and a 225gr Speer bullet. Also with Universal and a 220gr BERB (I assume that means Berry's).

The 200gr and 240gr cast lead bullets have several subsonic loads listed. And so do the heavier bullets up to the 300gr XTP.

The 225gr FTX is, generally speaking, a "hunting bullet" so I would only assume that Hodgdon would list "full power" loads. Universal will probably work to go subsonic with the FTX, but you can't just use the 225gr Speer data to get there, since the FTX bullet sits deeper in the case, and therefore raises the pressure.

The start loads for the 220gr BERB would probably be safe. The max loads - who knows. The FTX sits deep in the case, but the max loads are low pressure to keep the plated bullets under 1200fps. The issue with medium and fast burning pistol powder is that overloading increase the pressure very rapidly from one load to the next, so in this case I would ask the ballistician at Hodgdon, or at Brand X powder company.

The cheap answer is to go over to Missouri Bullets' web site and order you some lead bullets and load them with the middle of the road pistol powder to .44 Special velocity.

A 200gr RNFP with Universal at 1000fps is a very nice shooting load.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    You could try Trail Boss (Hodgdon/IMR) powder. The directions are out there for making any load in virtually any caliber.

I've made lots of them for 44. I've never chrono'd them, but they are so light I doubt they are much over 800FPS.

Typically, I use X-treme plated for light plinking loads.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Loads of trailboss under missouri bullet co 240 gr keith styles sure make nice plinking loads. Same bullet can be loaded up for hunting purposes. Very economical.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    ... If you are hunting I would recommend using the 225gr at "magnum" velocity... if you want a subsonic load for hunting, then you want something in the 270-300gr range. Just my opinion.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    About the slowest 44mag ammo I've made is 240gr slug seated right down on top of 3gr of trail boss. Should have been around 500fps, maybe less. Really fun load, actually, but I wouldn't normally go that low. If you tried to go that slow with a jacketed bullet, you'd probably start sticking them in the barrel occasionally.

I'm going to agree with another poster that you should speed that bullet up for deer, or at least do some good research. A bullet like that needs to be going a certain speed or it won't expand at all. It'll tear a very small hole and not do the job. You can check this, but that might be a Lever-Evolution bullet, which means it's designed for Magnum velocity, aka it's not going to expand one bit at sub sonic speeds! It'll poke a nice small hole and that hole will close right behind the bullet and not leave a blood trail.

But hey, you're experience may vary. If you want non-magnum handgun velocity, Unique is the easy starting point. It's hard to screw up. Trailboss is even slower, but it's hard to recommend for jacketed bullets or any hunting application above vermin.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I went to hodgdon site and could not find info on .44mag subsonic loads. Does anyone know where to find .44 mag subsonic load info?

Hodgdon has plenty of subsonic loads for .44 Mag but you'll need to be looking at heavier bullets. It's difficult to impossible to get reliable subsonic loads with light bullets.

Look at 325 gr. or heavier with Titegroup as an example and you have 1000 fps. and below which is subsonic under almost all circumstances.

Top Bottom