• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    If you come to Evansville you'll need a Glock 21 so that when you come upon a downed city officer you can fend off the hoard of gang bangers who are trying to finish him off while you call for backup on his radio and reload with his G21 magazines until you fire your/his last round as ambulances and the SWAT team show up to body-bag the BGs while the mayor is planning your award ceremony for saving the PO's life. Hey, it could happen ;)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Here are a couple of 45s I have that are worth considering. The first is a Kimber Compact Stainless II 1911. It's around 25oz or so IIRC with an aluminum frame and stainless slide.
    picture.php

This one is a Bersa Thunder 45UC and weighs about the same as the Kimber, shoots very well but costs about half as much. It's a nice gun that is loved by folks that own them (me included).
    picture.php

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    For compact, light weight - 17.5 oz with empty mag try a Kahr PM45. Accurate and you get used to the recoil. ;)

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Glock 30 is by far my favorite .45 handgun.

Everyone is different though and has their own preference. Handle as many as you can and go with what feels best to you.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    i think what melensdad is saying is that you'll be hard pressed to find, and then enjoy shooting, a .45 that weighs less than 26 oz loaded. Not eveyone can be top dog :D

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Polymer is bulkier than alloy and only saves about 1 ounce.

You can get a thinner, better shaped grip if you get an aluminum framed gun over a polymer framed gun.

Here is a compact 45acp, 12 shot aluminum framed 1911 from Detonics called the MTX model, unloaded about 27oz.

1stDetonicsMTXproduced.jpg

For those concerned about the grip size, here is some information. In the chart below the new Detonics pistols is designated the MTX, the original Detonics model is designated the CM.

This grip is just about the same as a Colt "Officer" size.

You can see the new gun's grip is actually going to be similar to, or smaller, in most ways that the Glock 26, a traditional 1911 or a Sig 250. Bear in mind we are comparing a 45acp Double-Stack with 2 popular 9mm Double Stacks and a traditional Single Stack. I don't have the grip diameter of a double stack Glock 45acp, but its bigger than the Glock 26 illustrated below.

Screenshot2011-10-11at80435PM.png

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Actually, a polymer frame pistol of the same weight as an aluminum frame pistol will produce less felt recoil, due to the flex of the polymer. . .
    Actually you are not correct in your cause/effect assessment. Grip angle and other factors play more into the felt recoil than the theoretical flexing of the polymer frame. You are right, the G30 recoils less than some alloy frame guns, but not because of the polymer frame, its because of the grip angle directing the recoil down your arm by more closely aligning the bore axis to the arm than above the arm. The simple fact is the bore axis is lower on the Glock pistols and the grip angle is steeper. Those two things cause the gun to have a lighter felt recoil.

There are new guns in development that have 50-degree grip angles, they look very odd, but the moment you try one of them (they are in prototype now and amazing to shoot) you will see that its bore axis and grip angle, not plastic flex, that is the reason your Glock has lower felt recoil.

To prove this to you all you have to go is get a Lone Wolf frame for your Glock. Lone Wolf makes metal frames in the same shape as the original polymer frame. The recoil is no greater, no less, with the Lone Wolf frame.

My Detonics MTX 1911 posted above has a steeper grip angle and a frame shape that allows for a higher grip to bore axis ratio which makes this gun one of the lightest recoiling pistols available. Add more weight and it will recoil less. Increase the grip angle and it will recoil less. Lower the bore axis and it will recoil less. Polymer is an insignificant factor in recoil reduction.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Polymer frames DO flex. Flex absorbs some recoil. Simple science. Metal frames do NOT flex, and transmit all felt recoil to the shooter's hand. Grip angle and bore axis can also play a part in felt recoil, but polymer frame flex DOES exist and DOES absorb recoil. Period.
    YES.

Please read more carefully.

Flex is negligible. It does occur. I didn't say it didn't occur. I said it was not the real reason why you proclaim (oh so loudly :): ) that your Glock pistol has lower felt recoil.

The real reason why a Glock has less felt recoil than some other pistols is because of the low bore axis and the grip angle. You will notice that owners of other polymer framed guns don't make the same claim that Glock owners mistakenly make about the frame flex. Why not? Is it just the Glock that has these mystical powers? Clearly not.

Even John Moses Browning realized that grip angle made a difference and when he developed the Browning High Power he changed the grip angle.

But again, go test this all yourself. Get a Lone Wolf metal frame. Swap it onto your gun. Pull the trigger. You will NOT feel any difference in the recoil between the metal frame and the plastic frame. And oddly enough, the metal framed Lone Wolf/Glock will STILL HAVE less felt recoil than a gun that has 1) higher bore axis and 2) steeper grip angle.

I'm not saying the plastic doesn't flex. I'm saying that its flex is so negligible as to be a minimal factor but that the major factors can be explained with physics and geometry.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    This thread makes me appreciate just how good we have it right now. There are a lot of good choices for a .45 and we are fortunate that we live in a country that respects our right to choose any of them.

SWAMPMASTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Logantucky
    Springfield champion 1911 stainless
    photo-110.jpg

It was a little heavy at first, but after a couple days I have gotten ust to it and it doesn't bother me at all. It's beautiful to show off with open Carry, or nice and slim to conceal and cover it up. I carry in a galco combat master pancake holster on my Bull Belt gun belt.

I really like this one I have the same but noticed on yours it marked Brazil were all of them made there as mine is not marked

Top Bottom