• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My son came over to visit today he brought his Springfield XD Tactical 45acp. We decided to do some shooting since it's been awhile since he has had the chance. We did some basic target shooting then we decided to time our draw and fire.

I was using my S&W Shield 45acp.

So we set the rules of fastest draw and fire 5rd on target at 5 yards fastest time wins.

Here is my target I came in at 3.87 seconds. 2 rds went through the same hole just about.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My son came over to visit today he brought his Springfield XD Tactical 45acp. We decided to do some shooting since it's been awhile since he has had the chance. We did some basic target shooting then we decided to time our draw and fire.
    I was using my S&W Shield 45acp.
    So we set the rules of fastest draw and fire 5rd on target at 5 yards fastest time wins.

Here is my target I came in at 3.87 seconds. 2 rds went through the same hole just about.

For my level of shooting: :wow:
    I certainly learned that being timed changes everything: humbling! :dunno:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    For my level of shooting: :wow:
    I certainly learned that being timed changes everything: humbling! :dunno:

It was my son and I. So no pressure involved. I just drew normally presented and fired. I imagine if it was under different circumstances I would not have done so well. The main thing is we had fun. I'd have posted his pictures but he didn't want that.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It was my son and I. So no pressure involved. I just drew normally presented and fired. I imagine if it was under different circumstances I would not have done so well. The main thing is we had fun.
    I'd have posted his pictures but he didn't want that.

I had to laugh when I saw your son not wanting to post his pics (not "good enough") in his mind.
    Wait till he figures out he'll never shoot any better than when young.
    I read recently hear that their son could see bullet holes in the target at 75" (I think that was the distance).
    No way for me, at 21' yes, 40' no.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I had to laugh when I saw your son not wanting to post his pics (not "good enough") in his mind.
    Wait till he figures out he'll never shoot any better than when young.
    I read recently hear that their son could see bullet holes in the target at 75" (I think that was the distance).
    No way for me, at 21' yes, 40' no.

That about sums up his feelings. He found out his draw from his IWB holster needed a lot of improvement. We worked on that as long as we could before taking a break from the heat and humidity. Then we hit it again around 1900. He is going to have a few blisters on his hand from draw practice. I'd say he had 50 draw without firing, then we went to draw, and fire 1rd 50x. Then we stepped upto draw fire 2rds 50x. Then we just had fun shooting. Lots of laughs and smiles. Said he's going to try and get over more often to do some more practice. He went from 2.86 second draw and fire to 2.23 second approximately just that session.
    I had him leave his shirt hang over his pistol like he does normally so he can learn to move his shirt and draw.
    When he first tried it was over 3 seconds just to draw it. So he made some improvements and learned from it. He also made an adjustment to his holster and moved it about 2" forward. That helped him draw much faster.
    We had a great time.

Top Bottom