• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    Does anybody else feel like INDOT is really dropping the ball this winter? Seems to me that there used to be a time when they would salt before a winter storm, and have the plows ready for when it hit. Are they holding back to make sure they have salt and funding for the Super Bowl? I would hate to think that the safety of Indiana tax payers is taking the back seat.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Well, those of us that live in South Bend or close by here in lake effect country, are laughing at your post. We don't begrudge you for it, though. We just find your expectation of snowfall preemption activity by the DOT a hoot!

We average a hundred or so inches of snow annually. Lake effect snow is really cool! Nothing better than seeing snow falling on a sunny day.

We fully expect to drive on snow packed roads from November to June. We are good at it. Don't try to emulate us. "Don't try this at home" as they say.

We don't see pavement for months. We don't complain too much about snow up here because it's just a daily reality.

I had the pleasure of navigating amongst the "southerners" in the snow events over the last couple of weeks on my way to and from Orlando. All I can say is "Wow".

A few hints:

When the overpass or underpass is shiny, don't hit your brakes. Shiny means it's ice. You are already on the shiny stuff when you realize it's ice so try hard not to panic. Keep your foot steady on the gas. Don't accelerate or decelerate. No steering inputs. Steady as she goes.

Your 4 wheel drive will accelerate much better on ice than it will stop. See above.

Unlike June, 3 feet is not enough space between you and the vehicle you're following. See above.

Traveling 11 miles per hour on US 31 North in the left lane is totally unacceptable. Get your ass in the right lane or stop at IHOP until June.

The pile of snow that develops between the right and left lanes will pull on your steering wheel when you change lanes. Anticipate it, or better yet, keep your ass in the right lane, focus straight ahead, and be sure to let your white knuckles relax when you get home.

Or better yet, stop at IHOP until June.

2 inches of snow is not a blizzard. Pretend it is and just stay home or at IHOP. No one else will be at work where you live, anyway.

If you live south of US 30, don't get butt hurt by this post. You can convince your friends that you are a snow driving expert, we know you suck.

Oh, and one last thing, don't coonfinger your snow tires or your Glock.

In case you're wondering, I don't hate all that live south of US 30, I just hate your driving when it snows.

PS. I like winter. It's my favorite season. I just don't like to share it with you.

Sorry.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Really? South Bend drivers are good at driving in snow? Just this week, I've seen at least 10 accidents in South Bend because people seem to think 4wd means 4 wheel stop (to be fair, probably Granger folk). I have also been quite annoyed by 35mph on 31 (north and south) and many have been St. Joe plates. There were quite a few doing at least 10 under Friday morning even though the roads were the cleanest they've been since Tuesday.

I do enjoy seeing semis trying to pass people and then a mile down the road you see them sitting on the shoulder because they've realized it probably isn't the best time to be trying to drive 65.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Well, those of us that live in South Bend or close by here in lake effect country, are laughing at your post. We don't begrudge you for it, though. We just find your expectation of snowfall preemption activity by the DOT a hoot!

We average a hundred or so inches of snow annually. Lake effect snow is really cool! Nothing better than seeing snow falling on a sunny day.

We fully expect to drive on snow packed roads from November to June. We are good at it. Don't try to emulate us. "Don't try this at home" as they say.

We don't see pavement for months. We don't complain too much about snow up here because it's just a daily reality.

I had the pleasure of navigating amongst the "southerners" in the snow events over the last couple of weeks on my way to and from Orlando. All I can say is "Wow".

A few hints:

When the overpass or underpass is shiny, don't hit your brakes. Shiny means it's ice. You are already on the shiny stuff when you realize it's ice so try hard not to panic. Keep your foot steady on the gas. Don't accelerate or decelerate. No steering inputs. Steady as she goes.

Your 4 wheel drive will accelerate much better on ice than it will stop. See above.

Unlike June, 3 feet is not enough space between you and the vehicle you're following. See above.

Traveling 11 miles per hour on US 31 North in the left lane is totally unacceptable. Get your ass in the right lane or stop at IHOP until June.

The pile of snow that develops between the right and left lanes will pull on your steering wheel when you change lanes. Anticipate it, or better yet, keep your ass in the right lane, focus straight ahead, and be sure to let your white knuckles relax when you get home.

2 inches of snow is not a blizzard. Pretend it is and just stay home or at IHOP. No one else will be at work where you live, anyway.

If you live south of US 30, don't get butt hurt by this post. You can convince your friends that you are a snow driving expert, we know you suck.

In case you're wondering, I don't hate all that live south of US 30, I just hate your driving when it snows.

PS. I like winter. It's my favorite season. I just don't like to share it with you.

Sorry.

Oh my gosh, this post is full of win!! I gotta spread it around before I can rep you again.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hehehe...."South Bend snow". That's cute. :): :): :):

Spend some time in the U.P. Where I went to school, we averaged 18 FEET of snow.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    We havent even had any real winter weather in marion county yet, i dont know what you are complaining about. it will only be here for less than 24 hours, and i would prefer they keep the salt that my tax money paid for instead of splurging it for a few hours of a mere convenience.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Hehehe...."South Bend snow". That's cute. :): :): :):

Spend some time in the U.P. Where I went to school, we averaged 18 FEET of snow.

We used to go to Marquette every year to go skiing. Ya, that's a lot of snow. Where I went to school in northern Wisconsin (20 minutes from the U.P.) they didn't even put salt on anything but the main roads. Come late January, there was about 6 inches of ice and packed snow on the roads. People didn't complain about snow on the roads, they just learned to drive in the stuff.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    This will probably be a not popular answer but it probably has more to do with the less tax revenue coming in than anything else. I would imagine that with less money coming in from taxes there is less to spend on snow removal etc. :dunno:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Noblesville has started pre-treating the roads with ice melt solution rather than dumping salt everywhere before a storm. Not sure that it's any better, but I'm sure it's cheaper.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    We used to go to Marquette every year to go skiing. Ya, that's a lot of snow. Where I went to school in northern Wisconsin (20 minutes from the U.P.) they didn't even put salt on anything but the main roads. Come late January, there was about 6 inches of ice and packed snow on the roads. People didn't complain about snow on the roads, they just learned to drive in the stuff.

There's something humbling about driving down the highway with a 30-foot high wall of snow on either side from the plows. It wasn't uncommon to see a car flipped upside down on top. The snow would get so deep and the plows are so huge that when they're plowing the shoulder, they'd hit a stalled vehicle hidden by snow and it would just get sent up with the rest of the snow.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    One of the things I hate about southern Indiana is the lack of snow, most winters it's lame with the very minimal snow we get however, this year just sucks because we got....what? Maybe a half an inch this whole winter thus far?

Maybe I should move up north...

D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    All the roads down here around clark county got a double coat of brine yesterday evening *shrug*

I know Scott county didnt get anything until AFTER it started to freeze and was spotty up to Indy. I agree with the OP. They have been talking about freezing rain and snow for 3 days and I havent seen crap done about it. There is more salt in my driveway from me than I have seen the county/state put down this year.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY

A few hints:

Sorry.
    Even if he IS talking bad about me, it's still funny.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Drove home last night, highway crews were doing their best. Below freezing, salt doesn't work the best, and the water will refreeze right away if too cold. My work lost a vehicle last night, co worker was driving to cover some wrecks and was in our oldest vehicle and flipped it. Last I heard, he hurt his back, but will be okay. The roads were ice due to freezing rain that fell for hours last night. I drove home in 2wd (rear drive) and didn't need 4wd. Just took it easy and used 3rd (no overdrive) or 1/2 to let the engine brake itself if I didn't want to risk sliding. Was sorta sad to only see one vehicle off the road (time warner cable van).

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    INDOT can't win...

If they spread material beforehand; and a storm fizzles out, then folks rail on them for being "wasteful" with the material.

If they wait to see how bad a storm is, then they're railed on for being slow on the uptake.

Chances are VERY good that the state highways were all pre-treated with the salt brine solution.

-J-

Top Bottom