• ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Getting ready to start loading 500SW for the first time. With all the caveats around safe practices when developing a load, I am looking at the initial load to be Starline “R” Brass, 350 gr Berrys (round shoulder/jacketed) with ~40 grains of H110 over….well...that is my question.

I have Winchester Large Rifle Primers but not Magnums.

Given the supply issues with WLRMP, what are your experiences with magnum versus non-magnum primers in a similar 500SW load/H110/350 grs? The gun is a 4” model so we don’t have a lot of barrel length...

In some other caliber applications (but most definitely not all), I would say the non-magnum primers would be fine. The internet tends to agree for 500SW except for when it doesn’t. Lol

...or who in NEI whats to sell some WLRMP. ;-)

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Getting ready to start loading 500SW for the first time. With all the caveats around safe practices when developing a load, I am looking at the initial load to be Starline “R” Brass, 350 gr Berrys (round shoulder/jacketed) with ~40 grains of H110 over….well...that is my question.

Given the supply issues with WLRMP, what are your experiences with magnum versus non-magnum primers in a similar 500SW load/H110/350 grs? The gun is a 4” model so we don’t have a lot of barrel length...

In some other caliber applications (but most definitely not all), I would say the non-magnum primers would be fine. The internet tends to agree for 500SW except for when it doesn’t. Lol

I don't believe you will have a problem.
    I only use M primers in large magnum rifle cases. Your torching off what 40 grains, I dont see it being a problem.

The Internet, Yea.
    Growing up my grand father and father bought two kinds of primers, large and small.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I probably have some extra WLRM if you ever make it to central Indiana. That said, I've only used magnum primers for .416 Rigby and a load several rifle cartridges with typical powder charges well over 40 grains.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    Always used large rifle (non magnum) primers with no issue. I have used up to 50 gr of H110 with 300gr FTX. Hornady manual also specifies non magnum large rifle primers.

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon

Hey Mcapo, I just saw this post. I have 350 CCI No. 250 Large Rifle Magnum primers that I don’t need. And I was just up in Wabash last weekend :ugh: We’ll probably be back up in a few weeks. If you still need some then I’d be happy to let you have them or trade for SRP.

Edit: unless you’re exclusively “Winchester” then never mind.

Top Bottom