5906 disassembly and guide rod question...pics too!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Well, I got my 5906 today :rockwoot: I know how to take it down, but when I take out the slide stop and I pull the slide forward, it jams! A slight smack with the palm of your hand on the the slide fixes this. Is this a normal problem? Can this be fixed?

Second, no matter how I get the guide rod on the barrel, if I even THINK about looking at it, it'll fly across the room! Even though I put the rod in the little cutout in the barrel, it seems like it isn't big enough to keep the rod in place. Any way to fix that as well?

All in all, I'm pretty happy with my new firearm. I don't like the Hogue grips so I might look into factory grips or some Uncle Mike's if I can find them. I'll put up some pics soon! Just have to put it down to take a picture, its in my hand and I'm typing with the other :D

454comp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    i've only had mine a short time and only broke it down a few times, and ive had thing kind of close to what you have happen.( i just figured i didn't set it right) it feels like sometimes the guide rod/spring slips out of place and binds up inside the gun. one time i though i would have to take a mallet to it, but a few slaps got it back in place. great shooter and i love it but i think i've been spoiled with glocks... Good luck

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I did a lot of looking, and apparently if you do some careful filing with jeweler's files you can make that little crevice where the rod sits a little deeper. However, once the gun is together there is a place in the frame that keeps the rod in place. That crevice just helps with disassembly and reassembly. So the OP answered his own question :D

Tune in tomorrow folks for some pictures! This gun is so heavy and I love it! Nothing like 43 ounces of fully loaded stainless steel on your side. If you are debating whether or not to get this pistol, GET IT. If you aren't spoiled on lightweight guns you'll have no problem with the 5906.

Top Bottom