• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Name some 6mm cartridges that work in a long action. Might have the opportunity to pick up a long action to do my first REAL build off of and want to stick w/ a 6mm round so i can push it hard and fast.
    requirements of the caliber are

barrel life (1500 or more)
    minimal recoil
    No fireforming OR
    Fireforming must have velocity/performance gains worth the effort
    Preferably using a common bolt face
    Must fit a DBM and still have room to touch the lands (so i can chase them as the throat errodes)

Last edited:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I was just reading an article about pushing a 22-6mm 55gr 3700fps out to 800 fairly well in a 1:14, however I think that's a short action, I'll check for the article for yah.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    My 6mm AI pushes a 70 gr match king at 3900 out of a 27 in barrel but its short action.
    240 weatherby would be long action but it wont out run my AI

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    the 22-6 is a 22 cal and doesnt take advantage of the high bc bullets that 6mm has to offer. thanks for the input though.

I guess i should add i want to shoot 105 - 115 grain bullets.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Another great article, a little all over the place, a little too much talk about barrel life but none the less a good pro/con with 6mmRem, 6mm AI, 6mm-06, 6mmAI seems to be the favorite.

Inherent accuracy

I looked at the 6mmai but i dont think the gain is worth it for the fireforming. Also the case is on the shorter side for a long action so i may or may not be pushing the envelope as much as i want to. but the comment in that thread about the 6-06 being way to overbore has me thinking to.

the reason i rulled the 6mm remington (and wildcats off of it) out before was because i was assuming a short action which that round will not allow me to seat the bullets out far enough to chase erosion. especially if i want to jam some bergers into the lands. but if i build off a long action, it would be a moot point and only cost me a few hundred bucks extra in alpha mags.

also, if you read closely you will find an apparant lack of data. someone states "good velocity" but what if their good is not my good? i would like to push a 115 grain dtac at around 3200 fps which will allow me to mach the ballistics of a 338 LM out to 1k w/out the cost nor the recoil. nobody in that thread is giving concrete evidance that i can do it with that round.

Last edited:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    the 22-6 is a 22 cal and doesnt take advantage of the high bc bullets that 6mm has to offer. thanks for the input though.

I guess i should add i want to shoot 105 - 115 grain bullets.

More importantly its a 6mm necked down to a 22, it fits all your criteria minus long action and BC and weight... well OK, its light recoil, good barrel life and decent at 1/2 mile. :D

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    More importantly its a 6mm necked down to a 22, it fits all your criteria minus long action and BC and weight... well OK, its light recoil, good barrel life and decent at 1/2 mile. :D

i dont want a 22 bore. the 115 dtac is a very well respected performer w/ a bc in the upper 6's when pushed as fast as i want to push it.

If i wanted a .22 barrel burner i would go 22-250

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Might have the opportunity to pick up a long action to do my first REAL build off of ...

Just a suggestion, take it for what you will.

If this is the first barrel you are chambering, build something common - that you KNOW how to make work - or something that everybody and their brother have made work. 223/22-250/243/260/308/30-06

Otherwise, you may find yourself second guessing yourself forever about the capabilities of that barrel.

My first was a 6mm Remington 40 degree.

My instructor said, once I was halfway through it of course, "why in the hell did you pick something with a square shoulder to start with"......

Knowing what I know now - he was right.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Just a suggestion, take it for what you will.

If this is the first barrel you are chambering, build something common - that you KNOW how to make work - or something that everybody and their brother have made work. 223/22-250/243/260/308/30-06

Otherwise, you may find yourself second guessing yourself forever about the capabilities of that barrel.

My first was a 6mm Remington 40 degree.

My instructor said, once I was halfway through it of course, "why in the hell did you pick something with a square shoulder to start with"......

Knowing what I know now - he was right.

not the first one i will be chambering on, i have three or four take off barrels in 30 cal that i am going to be buying a 308 chamber reamer for and ill put them on and off my savage w/out the barrel nut system. should be good practice because both the rifle and shooter is a known combination. I plan on single pointing as much of the chamber as i can rough in. Unfortunatly w/ my lathes spindle bore i am going to be chambering through a steady, or through a jig in a steady. so a piloted reamer in a floating reamer holder is pretty much my only option.

would you still stand by that advice knowing that i will be chambering 308 a dozen times or so before i tackle this guy? Last thing i want to do is start doubting myself or my work.

this reciever will be first one that i blueprint though, so i am sure that will be a nerve wracking experience.

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    This one is a slam dunk, as there are so few choices that actually meet the OP's criterion.

It's either a 6mm-'06 or a 6x284, in a full-length action. Yeah, there are other options that are more obscure, like the 240 Weatherby, 240 Hawk and 6.17 Lazzeroni round, but when it comes down to "good" choices, it's one of those first two.

With that being said, the reason there are so few full-length 6mm chamberings is because you gain so little from them, over a 243 or 6mm Remington. The 6mmAI is such a good cartridge and does not present any difficulties in fireforming; you just create a reasonable load and shoot it. If you're going to shoot such a small bullet, why not go with a shorter, stiffer action that will probably be a little lighter and more accurate? :twocents:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    Like I've said before I don't think you gain much over a 6AI in a 6mm especially if you install a slightly longer than average barrel so you can take advantage of the variety of powders on the market today.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Unfortunatly w/ my lathes spindle bore i am going to be chambering through a steady, or through a jig in a steady.

1 3/8" ??

I don't know that I'd be trying to prebore the chamber until you've spent a good bit of time on your machine.

would you still stand by that advice knowing that i will be chambering 308 a dozen times or so before i tackle this guy?

I've never had a factory fit barrel machine the way an even mediocre(Shaw-A&B/Douglas) quality aftermarket barrel machines. Buy a handful of Shilens from Brownells, or call them, McGowen, Montana, Pac-Nor or Hart for some drops from the prefit end of their business.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    one of the 308 barrels is a bartlien that won the texas womens f class a few years ago. its about 30 inches long and i have already turned a bit on it and it cuts nice

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    1 3/8" ??

I don't know that I'd be trying to prebore the chamber until you've spent a good bit of time on your machine.

More like 1 1/8th. I am pretty confidant that i could prebore right now. While we are on it, i guess i should ask you if you have any time w/ the aruther warner indexable HSS tooling? I really like the it the little i have used it so far and am thinking about ording a complete kit once i start tooling up a bit more seriously.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    More like 1 1/8th.

Huh, still if you've got that much - what is preventing you from chambering through the headstock?

By the time you have the breech end protruding through to your chuck or spider, you're going to be into enough taper the spindle bore won't be an issue.

While we are on it, i guess i should ask you if you have any time w/ the aruther warner indexable HSS tooling?

I use Kaiser ThinBit for turning the tenon and threading.

THINBIT® Kaiser Tool Company, Inc.

Everybody has their own thing, find what you like.

Top Bottom