• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikescetme

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2012
    Indianapolis
    im new to reloading , just getting stuff , where would a good place to find 7.62x51 brass , dont want to shot 308 in my m14 , or is there a safe 308 for m14 ?? im only doing 9mm , 5.6 , 7.62 nato and 50 bmg . thank you for ideas for brass , ohhh yaaa cheap lol

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    Reloading for an M14/M1a is not necessarily easy. From OAL, to making sure the primers are seated deep enough to prevent a slam fire, to case trimming, resizing every reload. You can use .308 cases, but keep the case internal volume in mind. It messes with case pressure and velocity.

I started by reloading for my M1a so it's not impossible, but certain powders must be used for the burn rate or you risk damaging the op rod.

If you buy off the shelf stuff, make sure it says its good for an M1a. Any hot 308 hunting load will do damage. Maybe not right away like blow up in your face, but over time it will take its toll. There are certain military rounds that can be used.

Clear as mud right?! Once you find the exact parameters and projectiles and powder, you can then fine tune for your rifle.

I found some IMI new 7.62x51 cases a while back. Not great but not bad. I wanted to load up 1000 rounds all to the same paramters once I found the sweet spot.

You can find Lake City stuff, but if its once fired, you will need to swage the primer pocket.

I run 5.56 through my Dillon progressive, but all my 7.62 is single staged in batches on my RCBS turret press for precision.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    When looking for reloading data, look for 7.62x52mm "Service Rifle Loads".
    Stick to that Data parameters and you will be fine for the M1A.
    Commercial brass that is sized and trimmed to proper length will be fine.

mikescetme

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Reloading for an M14/M1a is not necessarily easy. From OAL, to making sure the primers are seated deep enough to prevent a slam fire, to case trimming, resizing every reload. You can use .308 cases, but keep the case internal volume in mind. It messes with case pressure and velocity.

I started by reloading for my M1a so it's not impossible, but certain powders must be used for the burn rate or you risk damaging the op rod.

If you buy off the shelf stuff, make sure it says its good for an M1a. Any hot 308 hunting load will do damage. Maybe not right away like blow up in your face, but over time it will take its toll. There are certain military rounds that can be used.

Clear as mud right?! Once you find the exact parameters and projectiles and powder, you can then fine tune for your rifle.

I found some IMI new 7.62x51 cases a while back. Not great but not bad. I wanted to load up 1000 rounds all to the same paramters once I found the sweet spot.

You can find Lake City stuff, but if its once fired, you will need to swage the primer pocket.

I run 5.56 through my Dillon progressive, but all my 7.62 is single staged in batches on my RCBS turret press for precision.
    thank you i got rcbs rebel single stage , still getting other stuff

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009

Reloading for the M1A is no different or more difficult than loading for any other rifle.
    As for pressures, commercial case usually have more internal volume due to thinner case walls and head area. The same load in a military case will have MORE pressure than a commercial case. Prepare your cases properly and load to "Service Rifle" data and you won't have any problem using either case as long as your headspace is correct.

mikescetme

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Reloading for the M1A is no different or more difficult than loading for any other rifle.
    As for pressures, commercial case usually have more internal volume due to thinner case walls and head area. The same load in a military case will have MORE pressure than a commercial case. Prepare your cases properly and load to "Service Rifle" data and you won't have any problem using either case as long as your headspace is correct.
    thank you very helpful , i bought my m14 in 1984 , sold it to my brother in law , finally got it back , i bought imi 7.62 nato on sgammo , dont want to hurt my favorite rifle

Shifty_85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2023
    Versailles, IN

I was unaware that you have to load differently for an M14S vs different .308 rifles?

My go to load for my AR10 runs and groups very accurately in my Polytech M14s. 43gr of WC846 *Pulled 7.62 NATO powder** same load data as BLc2 with a Hornady 150gr SP BT.

I've also ran 145gr wolf steel case and never seen any issues with my M14s.

I know M1 garands have issues commercial 30-06 vs .30 cal ball but never heard of .308 being an issue vs 7.62x51 NATO. In M14s/ M1a?

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    I was unaware that you have to load differently for an M14S vs different .308 rifles?

My go to load for my AR10 runs and groups very accurately in my Polytech M14s. 43gr of WC846 *Pulled 7.62 NATO powder** same load data as BLc2 with a Hornady 150gr SP BT.

I've also ran 145gr wolf steel case and never seen any issues with my M14s.

I know M1 garands have issues commercial 30-06 vs .30 cal ball but never heard of .308 being an issue vs 7.62x51 NATO. In M14s/ M1a?

Well, the M1 Garand op rod is longer, so it is more suseptible to damage if hotter loads *giggity* are used. The M1a has a shorter op rod and is less likely to be damaged, but the chance is still there.

The burn rate of the powders is also way different for M1 Garand and M1a rifles than a bolt gun in order for the system to safely work the way it was designed. They were designed for a 150gr bullet at around 2600fps. .308 hunting loads are designed with bolt guns in mind where higher velocities are desired.

Last edited:

SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    The M1a is hard on brass so I load military brass and keep in mind that the AR-10 will handle higher pressure than M1a so a load for one might not be for the other. My loads for M1a are all fairly mild as they seem to shoot better.

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I've shot thousands of 7.62X51mm Service Rifle loads in commercial cases thru M1As and FALS.
    FALs are a lot harder on the brass than the M1A. Never had any casehead separations or excessive case damage.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    An easy rule of thumb with M1A's, M14's and Garands. Before Varget came about use no powders slower than 4064, now it seems nothing slower than Varget.

Top Bottom