• ...and so much more!
  • adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I have a 93 model Spanish Mauser. It shoots well and I like it for the most part, and am thinking about sporterizing it. The bore is dark and the rifling is still there, even at the muzzle tip. I'm mostly just curious as to the viability of the 7x57 for hunting, considering the downloading of most US ammo manufacturing. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: It's not in great shape as it sits, and has no value as a "collector", hence why I'm considering the modifications.

Last edited:

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    Karamojo Bell supposedly shot over 800 elephants with the 7X57. It is a very good hunting cartridge that is capable of taking deer, elk and even moose. It is one of the few metric cartridges that has acquired a fame and following here in Amerika. Varmints are taken with 75 grain bullets and you can use up to 140 or even 150 grainers for larger stuff. It is also known for good accuracy....

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The 7 X 57 actually has pretty good ballistics for a lower pressure cartridge when using modern bullets. My favorite foregin medium rifle cartridge is the 6.5 X 55 Swedish, but the 7 X 57 is a close second. I actually had an old savage chambered for that cartridge. 7mm/08 is better, but a small ring mauser action is not made for the higher pressures. Like you mentioned, it is not like you are cutting up a minty historically collectable rifle. I think Timney still makes the "sportsman" drop in trigger for those old mausers. Post pictures when you get it done.

Top Bottom