870 replacement barrel/scope combo or tritium sights?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • biomech

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Hello all! As stated in the title, I am contemplating replacing the barrel on my 870 Express. I have been looking at the following with the goal of keeping under a $200.00 budget.

7-MB92356 - Remington 870 12 Gauge Barrel and Scope Combo

Trak-Lock® II Ghost Ring Sight Set | Tritium Front & Rear-Wilson Combat

My first thought is, if I am going to place a scope on the current setup I might as invest in a rifled barrel for deer hunting. My alternative thought is, place tritium sights on for home defense and stay with the smooth bore barrel using rifled slugs for hunting. Keep in mind I am an inexperienced hunter planning my first outing this season.

Thoughts?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Cantilever bbls can put the scope too high for some shooters (most IMHO).
    You'll need a high comb stock if you go that route (most probably).

Heck, with rifle sighted bbls I run a high comb stock (scoped rigs get the receiver drilled and tapped for low as possible mounting). A low power scope is good for old eyes, and makes moving deer kinda easy.

You could get a Remchoke bbl, rifle sighted, and put Tritiums on it. Then you'd have a HD rig with more open chokes, a coyote or turkey rig with Superfull choke, and a deer rig with a rifled Remchoke.

I myself like a dedicated slug gun, fully rifled, scoped. But I own more than one shotgun.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The cantilever fully rifled barrel is going to give you the best accuracy, If you remove the barrel of a shotgun with the scope attached to the reciever you better resight the gun when the barrel goes back on. The cantilever will stay in line with the barrel. Still best to check accuracy here also but less likely to be a problem.

Get the scope mounted low. You don't really need anything over 4 power and mounted low so under 32mm objective lens and low med/low rings. Lots of good shotgun slug scopes around.

I would see if you can get that barrel without the scope combo. I would go for something along the lines of a 1-4 power 20mm or a 2-7 power 32mm. 9 power you will not need and that scope in the combo will do but it is not a quality optic.

biomech

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Thanks for the constructive criticism. Exactly the type of information I was looking for. I have been doing a bit of research on accuracy concerning slug and barrel types. I'm thinking its going to be best if I get a rifled barrel for hunting and dedicate my 1911 for home defense.

I tested some Remington Slugger's over the weekend and was surprised at the accuracy at 50yds with the bead sight. That is my reason for trying to justify combining the best of both worlds with the night sights.

Top Bottom