• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USPc40

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Madison County
    Okay, I have a AR-15 stripped lower, RRA LPK, and a Magpul CTR w/standard buffer. Assuming I get a complete 9mm upper, besides the hammer, magwell block, and mags is there anything else needed to build a 9mm AR? Thanks in advance.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I am thinking of building my two stripped DPMS lowers into a dedicated 9mm and a .22lr. We mostly shoot at 100 yds or less and the ammo$$ factor...... I pucker big time when I go into my ammo stash and get 5.56 or 7.62 now......

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Your list looks good, except the buffer, use the heaviest buffer you can find.

There is a guy named Slash over on ARFCOM that sells a 9Q buffer that is also made a little longer to help remedy any bolt stop breakage issues you could possibly have.

Also, send your 9mm bolt to ADCO and have it ramped, this will smooth out the hammer reset and reduce wear and tear on your lower and hammer pin.

Magwells, I am a big fan of the Hahn dedicated mag block, but as long as you use the Colt pattern for your 9mm build you should be fine.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Your list looks good, except the buffer, use the heaviest buffer you can find.

Like, oh, I dunno... a 9mm buffer? ;) ~$25 will get one from RRA or Colt, and that should be fine for his purposes (see related note below).

remedy any bolt stop breakage issues you could possibly have.

I doubt he'll have any. The only 9mm ARs that seem to have bolt catch breakage issues are Colts, b/c the Colt mag block requires a dedicated 9mm bolt catch with a longer leg that is more fragile. The RRA, Hahn and most other mag blocks utilize the standard 5.56 bolt catch, and I've never seen or even heard of one breaking in routine use.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    9Q buffer > 9mm buffer :pffftt: (atleast for my suppressed rig)

shooter, you know I like to make folks spend more money on gun stuff than they need too!

USPc40

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Madison County
    Thanks for the advice guy's. I was looking at the 9mm 10.5" complete uppers on the ADCO site, and started thinking about this build instead of another 5.56. Form 1 w/stamp needs to be in hand before ordering a SBR upper, correct?
    Are there any places that will engrave the lower in central IN?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Form 1 w/stamp needs to be in hand before ordering a SBR upper, correct?

Ordering and possessing are two different things, and it's the latter that's the potential sticking point. I'd think twice about having a <16" upper in the house if you don't have any registered SBR lowers. I don't know of any instances where someone has been tried and convicted solely on "constructive intent" charges, but I don't wanna be the test case, either.

Are there any places that will engrave the lower in central IN?

There was a thread about this in the Indiana Hometown Forum on ARFcom awhile back; might check there. I've personally had a bad experience with a local guy (who came recommended by a fellow ARFcom'er), and since then have sent all my stuff up to Ryan @ Orion Arms in Minnesota with very good results. Welcome - orion-arms.com: custom firearm engraving

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Faff
    Top Bottom