www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This ^^^.

I reload 147gr berry's with enough push to make a 133 PF. The recoil impulse is straight back and I can get back on target much faster. I am never as quick shooting 115s. (I have some 124s, but I need to work on those loads a bit more.)
    You and me both. Their flat points are da bomb.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Back in the day all we had was Premium jacket bullets and lead. Jackets fouled our barrels and lead was dirty. When plating became popular I was a distributor for Berry’s because plated was a better fit for my volume of shooting.

When you maintain Chrono data with your reloads you will find that up around 10,000 rounds or so you will loose velocity because of barrel wear with plated or jacketed bullets.

I can get better barrel longevity by using quality coated bullets today. My barrels are easy to clean and the cost is less than plated and jacketed.

I have grandfathered prices on my components but as I have to replace at today’s prices my CPR is at an all time high.

Used to get promotional ammo back in the day and it was convenient but always liked handloading and casting.

Brass (especially 9mm and 223) has been compromised a million different ways and quality ranges from good to crap. Crap brass in design and poor quality angers me at the bench.

IMHO We can thank the greedy supply chain and some consumers enabling the whoring out of our quality, price and availability much earlier than a retailer has a chance at it.

I try to recover my brass when I can but so many competitions are lost brass and with good reason. I’m getting to old to get on my knees for garden brass so I will buy it from time to time.

For me, bench time is fun and rewarding for the end goal of being a shooting sportsman.

As for cost, priorities play a big role and that takes real work to manage.

See you in the poor house

Trapper

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm selling all my reloading stuff and I had quite a bit of 9mm brass. I was able to sell it, but I think I negotiated down to about $0.01/case if I recall. I know I sold some with some other components to a guy and he came back and bought some more. I also did some "package" deals. A lot of it was once fired that I picked up after shooting factory stuff.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    IMO it is not worthwhile to reload range 9mm right now unless you don't value your time.
    I very much value my time, which is why I relax in front of a press. It's not about the price of ammo, it's about the satisfaction of making it and the feeling of success when it shoots well. Doesn't matter to me if it costs .10 less or .10 more. I gather joy and satisfaction from making something.

Some people fix cars to relax. I reload.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    With the exception of 9mm, I can reload for almost 1/2 price of factory. I have saved up a decent amount of components in prep for the next scarcity event.

A buddy gave me a 5 gal bucket full of once fired 9mm, .45, .223 and some 6.5cm. It weighs 60lbs. I calculated there should be around 6K pieces in there. Free brass is always welcome.
    bucket_o_brass.JPG

Indy574

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Marshall County
    I very much value my time, which is why I relax in front of a press. It's not about the price of ammo, it's about the satisfaction of making it and the feeling of success when it shoots well. Doesn't matter to me if it costs .10 less or .10 more. I gather joy and satisfaction from making something.

Some people fix cars to relax. I reload.
    Said perfectly.
    I love working up loads for each gun. I probably enjoy that aspect of it more than shooting…and I love to shoot.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    Cheapest I've seen 9mm ammo around here is $15.99 per box buying 5 or more.

I carried the brass cases to the local scrapyard. The guy said we can't buy it. What, I just bought some 223/556 brass here. He remembers, the guy got mad cause we wouldn't buy it and left it. Gone before we could catch him. We were trying to figure out what to do it until you came along.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Said perfectly.
    I love working up loads for each gun. I probably enjoy that aspect of it more than shooting…and I love to shoot.

I suppose if you enjoy it, then it is worth it. I do like working up new loads or doing small batches of precision rounds but if I'm cranking out 1000 rounds of 9mm for a class or something, I will just buy it and save the components for the future.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    I emailed my local RangeUSA and asked who buys their cases. Western, Western what? No reply. I searched online. Western Reloading? All I see on their site is new brass cases like Starline.

Top Bottom