• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spencir

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've recently switched from .40 to 9 and I need some advice on carry ammo.

What bullet weight and brand do you prefer and why? Also, is the +P ammo worth looking into, or is it just going to wear my gun out faster?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I prefer 115, 124, & 125, that is just me ..... buy several boxes, and find out what ammo you firearm "likes".....

Then stock up accordingly ..... SD, is hollow point, of course .....

I use several different brands, Speer, Rem., Federal, etc....

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Any reason why you don't like the heaver stuff, like the 147?

I read somewhere, that you should not use heaverier bullets in 9mm, can't remember who wrote the article,

but have also read, where fast 9mm can NOT do the job either.... haven't had the chance to buy 147, and test myself .....

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I am a big fan of the Federal HST line. That being said, there are many great manufacturers and bullet designs out there anymore. I carry the Federal HST in 147 grain standard pressure load.

I have not shot the +P version, but as carry ammo you won't be shootingtens of thousands of rounds of +P through your gun so I wouldn't be worries about wearing out your gun.

Spencir

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    but have also read, where fast 9mm can NOT do the job either

I remember reading an article saying that the 115 is too fast and wouldn't do the job. I didn't know if there was any merit to it.

I have not shot the +P version, but as carry ammo you won't be shootingtens of thousands of rounds of +P through your gun so I wouldn't be worries about wearing out your gun.

Is there any advantage to using +P rather than just the standard stuff?

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    My department just switched to 9mm and we carry Federal HST 147gr standard pressure.

In our testing this load did better in penetration and going threw windshields and car doors then the others we tested. I believe the others were Federal HST 124gr +p, Hornady Critical Duty 135gr, and the Speer Gold Dot 125gr i believe.

If you go with any quality name brand manufacturer and a bullet weight between 115 and 147 you'll be fine. Dont go with anything "special" like the 80gr or 95gr stuff.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Concerning the HST and the +P, IIRC the specs for the +P is 50 FPS faster than the non +P. Pretty sure it's only reason for existing is marketing. Law Enforcement - Federal Premium LE, Speer LE, BLACKHAWK!, Eagle - Handgun Compare

In other brands it will vary more, sometimes much more. The HST is very accurate in most of my firearms, has the smallest groupings and shoots to POA. The M&P standard, Pro, and the Glock 19s get the 147. The Kahr P9 gets the 124 since it shoots to POA and the 147 does not.

Gold Dots are a good round and the 124 +P shoots nice in them as well. It's just as accurate, very close in group sizes and shoots to POA as well. Law Enforcement - Federal Premium LE, Speer LE, BLACKHAWK!, Eagle - Handgun Compare
    These were my carry round until the HST came along. The HST expands better while keeping the same penetration. The Gold Dot is a bonded bullet (so no jacket separation) while the HST is not. I've not experienced or seen any cases of core/jacket separation in the HST though, even with the 124 +P from the 5" barrel M&P Pro. It may happen if fired from a rifle though, not sure.

Whatever you decide on, function and reliability should be on the top of the list. POA is important but sights can be adjusted or changed to fix that. Actual bullet selection is close to the bottom. They are very close in performance when talking about premium ammunition.

Here are a few good videos on the 9mm mentioned above. He has MANY others that are worth a look as well.

9mm Standard Pressure

[video=youtube;c8gm7ZTkDxc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8gm7ZTkDxc[/video]

9mm +P

[video=youtube;A9TokjDG4iw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9TokjDG4iw[/video]

HST 147 Standard Pressure

[video=youtube;PNRqrJRq4T0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNRqrJRq4T0[/video]

HST 147 +P

[video=youtube;i67WILeK66Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i67WILeK66Y[/video]

HST 124 +P

[video=youtube;COVoBwR1oww]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COVoBwR1oww[/video]

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    AngryRooster pretty much covered it.

I carry Federal HST 124 gr. standard pressure. Nothing against the +p version, but I got a good price on the*standard a couple of years back so I picked up 300 rounds.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I carry 124gr Speer gold dots, but have 115 and 147gr too, wouldn't hesitate to carry any name brand defense ammo, differences are minimal anymore. HST and gold dots seem to be the most popular though.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Make sure it's a bonded bullet. My guns like the Winchester PDX (Ranger-T) rounds. They feed good and are accurate. I prefer the 147 gr due to the more consistent penetration. In my opinion, lighter and faster tend to be more inconsistent in that area.

Pick any of the major brands with a bonded bullet that work in your gun and forget about it. With the quality ammo out now, you're just splitting hairs.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Make sure it's a bonded bullet. My guns like the Winchester PDX (Ranger-T) rounds. They feed good and are accurate. I prefer the 147 gr due to the more consistent penetration. In my opinion, lighter and faster tend to be more inconsistent in that area.

Pick any of the major brands with a bonded bullet that work in your gun and forget about it. With the quality ammo out now, you're just splitting hairs.

Ditto on the bonded ammunition. It is important that the jacket doesn't seperate fro the lead core. I have pretty good luck running the Bonded, 147gr +P, Golden Sabers.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    If you look at the studies you will find that 147gr. bullets tend to open up a bit more. The wound cavities are reportedly greater. I also wouldn't recommend +P. No real advantage.

Top Bottom