• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Ok so today I went out to my usual shooting place and took a couple of my newest shooters. My Kimber has been out before and went the first 300 rnds I ever shot through it w/o a hitch. Today was its first day out since fellow INGOer NHT3 installed night sights on it, and I wanted to test out some JHP ammo too. Since its never had anything but FMJ through it i wanted to see what JHPs it liked.

I started out with 100rnds of 230gr WWB FMJs just to get the warmed up and figure out the new sights. No problems. Also to NHT3, I must say it does seem to be even more accurate. Thanks again for the great work!:yesway:

Next up was 25rnds of 230gr WWB JHPs personal protection ammo. I had 3 tip down Failure to feeds. Interesting. Noticed the ammo has a wide flat nose

Next was 25rnds of 230gr Winchester Ranger Series JHP ammo. No problems. More conical shaped ammo.

Next was 25 rnds of 230gr Hornady TAP JHP ammo. No problems. Again cone shaped.

Last was 25 rnds of 230gr Remington HD JHP ammo. 1 tip tip down ftf. flat nosed.

It seems Like the Kimber prefers JHPs to be cone shaped. Im not gonna say that the FTFs had nothing to do with the gun, Im also not gonna say it had nothing to do with me. Im sure it was a combo of both. but it does seem like the Kimber prefers cone shaped JHPs. Its never had a problem with any of the 400 FMJs its had through it, so I know the gun is reliable. Now i just need to test more with JHPs to see what it is gonna be 100% with.

This was my first time out with my new Glock 19 EXO. All I can say is that shooting it was, well, Glockish. Im not new to the Glock, Ive owned several before but never a G19. It wasnt without a couple surprises though. After the first mag the slide failed to lock back. I was almost baffeled. I loaded up the second mag and it too failed to lock the slide back. This time I looked at my grip and noticed that I was inadvertenly resting my right thumb on top of the slide lock. Changed my grip and low and behold the slide locked back everytime. I was going from shooting a 1911 to a Glock so it was just a matter of getting used to the grip on the Glock again.

The second surprise was how accurate I became with it after the 300rnds I put through it. I ran a mixture of FMJs and JHPs through it w/o any trouble what so ever. Everything from 115gr Hornady Critical Defense to 147gr Hornady TAP and several different brands of FMJs of different weights. It ate everything and spit it out just like I feel an EDC gun should.

All in all It was a pretty satisfying day out at the range.

Sorry no pics I forgot to bring my camera. Also I really didnt do any paper target shooting. I was shooting old paint cans, water jugs, and a couple old air cylinders. Improvised targets are my favorite!

Anyone else do any shooting today?

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    Sounds like a good day. Glad to hear I'm not the only one that can appreciate both a 1911 and a Glock. I took my range bag to work in the hopes of sneaking out at lunch, but the rain kept me indoors.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Sounds like a good day. Glad to hear I'm not the only one that can appreciate both a 1911 and a Glock. I took my range bag to work in the hopes of sneaking out at lunch, but the rain kept me indoors.

Sorry to hear that. I went first thing this morning and I was a blast! I had a few half empty spray paint cans with broken nozzels that were alot of fun! We are a strange bunch arent we? The ones who enjoy different platforms for what they are and carry little to no bias as to which we prefer. Variety is a good thing, without it I get bored.

Although at heart Im really a Sig man. ;)

And you didn't invite me???? I'm hurt:D
    I had to work today but it sounds like a lot of fun..

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]

Next time you get a monday off let me know!

You too Hoosier. My invite to you and Paddling man to shoot and bash James Yeager all day still stands.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    im a little surprised (and refreshed ) to see you appreciating them both , i prefer the 1911 but i understand the love of the glocks, you are making me jealous of range time , has been raining everytime i can go for a couple days now

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Nice to get some trigger time.
    Try different mags on the Kimber and see IF that doesn't cure the feed woes on the HP ammo.
    I went to the CM mags and really like them.
    Also my last RIA loved the Brown mags. So much smoother in it for JHPs.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Nice to get some trigger time.
    Try different mags on the Kimber and see IF that doesn't cure the feed woes on the HP ammo.
    I went to the CM mags and really like them.
    Also my last RIA loved the Brown mags. So much smoother in it for JHPs.

Im currently using 2 CM mags and the factory Kimpro mag. All 3 had FTFs. Im gonna get a couple Wilson Combat mags and see if it helps.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Did you ever figure out what caused the FTF on the Kimber? That sounds strange to me. Was all the flatter ammo factory made?

1911's are picky eaters and higher tolerances than most polymer guns.

I'd find a good JHP that works and put atleast 200 issue free rounds of it through before trusting it. Also make sure the feed ramps are polished up nice and shiny.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    How was the ejection pattern of the 19 exo? Any casing to the head?

Not that I noticed. Mine seems to leave a nice pile just infront of my right foot.

Did you ever figure out what caused the FTF on the Kimber? That sounds strange to me. Was all the flatter ammo factory made?

No but it doesnt really concern me to much. Im pretty sure the ammo or the Mags were the problem. Im going to look into some Wilson Combat mags first and see if that helps. And Im gonna stick to Hornady TAP ammo as it seemed to like it the best and was the most accurate with it. If that doesnt make it 100% then NHT3 has already offered to take a look at it for me. He says he can make it feed empty cases, and I belive him.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Not that I noticed. Mine seems to leave a nice pile just infront of my right foot.

No but it doesnt really concern me to much. Im pretty sure the ammo or the Mags were the problem. Im going to look into some Wilson Combat mags first and see if that helps. And Im gonna stick to Hornady TAP ammo as it seemed to like it the best and was the most accurate with it. If that doesnt make it 100% then NHT3 has already offered to take a look at it for me. He says he can make it feed empty cases, and I belive him.

And yes all the ammo I used was factory loaded. I listed all the brands and weights in the OP.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    How much different does the compact grip feel compared to a full size when shooting?

I like it better but that is just my personal opinion. I think it allows me to get a full grip better because the whole grip is in my hand. It doesnt (atleast to me) seem like it has more noticable recoil. Ive also added Hogue wrap around grips with finger grooves so that also helps. With the factory grips the edge of the mainspring housing would dig into my palm. With the hogues that doesnt happen and it feels just like any other 1911 IMHO.

Top Bottom