• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    I dont see these folks as survivalist...just sayin..

http://www.kfor.com/news/local/kfor-...,2465713.story
    MIDWEST CITY, Okla. -- According to the most recent government data, food inflation costs for the average American family are about 4.5 percent per year. That staggering figure, coupled with growing fear about the global food trade and availability of fuel, is prompting a growing number of Oklahoma families to stock up.....more at link

Last edited:

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    There is a difference between "survivalists" and "preppers".

IMO a survivalist is someone who can live without anything to start, scrounging from their environment whatever they need to survive.

A prepper is someone who attempts to hedge their bets by trying to make themselves mostly self sufficient in event of a man made or natural disaster.

Kudos to both camps!

Oh and FYI almost all of our forefathers were survivalists and preppers to some degree so, it's not really a "NEW" subculture, it's a re-emerging way of life.

Oh and PS, I won't hate on anyone who preps to ensure the survival of his/her family.

Barbecue

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011

IMO a survivalist is someone who can live without anything to start, scrounging from their environment whatever they need to survive.

A prepper is someone who attempts to hedge their bets by trying to make themselves mostly self sufficient in event of a man made or natural disaster.

Kudos to both camps!

Oh and FYI almost all of our forefathers were survivalists and preppers to some degree so, it's not really a "NEW" subculture, it's a re-emerging way of life.

Oh and PS, I won't hate on anyone who preps to ensure the survival of his/her family.
    Very true. I can remember my Grandparents storing all kinds of foods and supplies. I always thought it was crazy as a child, but I now completely understand it. My Grandparents were kids during the depression and I can always remember them talking about it and how they didn't want to get caught with nothing again.

Re-emerging way of life is a good way to put it. :twocents:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana

Kudos to both camps!

Excellent write-up. My wife and are are preppers, not survivalists. We like to obtain survival skills, but I know we would be in a world of hurt if this moment we had to strike-out with nothing but ourselves and our three kids. I'm glad to see more folks are being proactive in prepping. As far as it being a sub-culture, if it is, it is a really small one. We know of no one around us or among our friends and family that prep, although we do have some friends that stock-up on 22 ammo thinking they can trade it for food:rolleyes:

Daniel686

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Terre Haute
    I would say im a little of both. I do have some supplies stocked up. And plan on adding even more to that. But on the other hand i have my gear (pack and long term surival items) ready to hit the door and move where need be. My friends do look at me strange when I tell them about my new or upgrade surival piece or my food stocks.

I would rather have it and not need it than not have it at all.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    People spend thousands of $$ every year for insurance they may never use, but won't
    spend a couple hundred every year to keep a weeks worth of canned goods and noodles in the back of the pantry.... who's crazy???

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Survival and complete independence is a mis-nomer.

In and of ourselves there is no self-sustainability. We are dependent people.

However planning and preparing is wise. That's different than being irrational, paranoid, and hoarding - which is what the term survivalist usually infers.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Hoarding denotes one is unwilling to share from his stores.
    I, for one, have a bunch of lead and copper that I intend to share generously should THE need arise. ;)
    Seriously though, our preps really do include extra beans, rice, the odd clothing item, and other things that are specifically stored to use to help others if the SHTF.
    Very few will be able to survive completely on thir own. It will be a Community effort, working together for safety, sustenance, and general welfare that will stand the test in the end IMHO.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Back in the early days of modern 'survivalism' I heard an "expert" state for the price of an assault rifle he could buy enough wheat to feed all his neighbors. He didn't say how to store it or keep it from being stolen.

Top Bottom