AAR: S&W PPC-Accurate guns Are Interesting!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    To Dom: Yes, i shot it!

I'm just so excited about my new toy, i had to share! I thought i'd shot some accurate guns before, but this one is on another level. I'm not that great of a shot, but this gun can make anyone look good!

I bought it from the INGO classified, on a whim.

It's .38 Spcl, shooting Sellier & Bellot 158grn LRN. Probably not the most accurate ammo!

The trigger on this gun is simply amazing. The single action is almost too light for offhand. As you get the sights on target and you start to press the trigger, it goes off! I think it can be shot more accurately in double action! I never thought i'd have a DA trigger THAT good!

So here's some pictures, nothing too exciting, it was a rushed trip to the range. First, the gun in question:
    The barrel measures about 1.06inches by about 6 inches, I don't have a scale to weight the whole gun. The sights have 4 different settings.
    6.jpg

Here's some targets!
    Below center: The first group! 7(!) yards, 18 shots, you'll notice the flyers, did i mention the trigger was LIGHT!? I had to learn to be more careful about resting my finger against the trigger while i aimed.
    Top, Left: 7 yards, after some practice, still not perfect, but a good indication of the potential I purchased!
    Top Right: 15 yards, SA, the DA target looked the same.

I'm really not doing the gun justice, but it's still exciting! to me.

4-1.jpg

So, i back it up to 20 yards. Crank the sights to position 3 and aim at the top blurry orange area. Here, my eyes weren't good enough for the gun. And, i should have left it on sight position 2. It shot way low. Now i know. The lower two targets in the picture show I was right back on target when i reset the sights. Of course, i'd already shot up those targets with .22!

8.jpg

:) Hope ya'll enjoy!
    5-1.jpg

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    S&W makes some good stuff!

Good looking revolver, and even better shooting! The only bad thing is now you don't have an excuse for bad shots. I owned a S&W 52-2 for a few weeks before trading it in on a 1911. 5 shot semi auto in .38 special wadcutter only, set up for bullseye competition. The thing was freakishly accurate, and had an amazing trigger that would absolutely surprise you if you weren't ready for it. I remember making some new shooter/Glock types (no offense to Glock owners, I'm starting to itch for one) stare in amazement when I shot about a 2-3" group at 25 yards with it.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    Aren't PPC guns wonderful? I have a model 10-6 setup very similar to yours, EXTREMLY accurate and very light on the trigger. Congratulations on your new purchase. I had mine up for sale for a short period of time, but decided it needs to stay in the stable.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My bud had a 1X Burris on his Power ribbed K frame.

From just a bag rest it'd put all to where you could cover the whole group, completely, with a nickle.

Super fun gun to shoot.

Glad you got one! :)

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    That is one pretty pistol and even prettier targets.

Nice!

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I'm still excited about this gun! There's so much potential! I have so much work to do to catch up to this gun! Hopefully i'll find time to make a video of this gal ringing a hundred yard gong!

Thanks for all the compliments! This was my first outing with the gun and i know i'm not doing it justice yet. As some of you know, a gun like this changes your definition of accuracy!

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    lol.

Its all fun and games till your car breaks down.

The gun is CURSED! CURSED! :)

I tell ya what, your old girlfriend never looks as hot as when she is with another man.

Sellers remorse is setting in pretty heavy. :)

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Dom, I hope i've broken the curse! I went to the range Right after i bought it, but they were closed. Very next day i rushed over to shoot it! I didn't want to give my truck time to break before i shot it!

This gun may eat cheap food, but i have a feeling it's still going to be expensive to keep fed!

If you ever get those reloading components, let me know! I may still be interested in them!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Since I no longer shoot PPC, I am going to put a red dot on mine and use it for Action Pistol. The potential problem with this plan is that PPC guns are designed to shoot 148 wadcutters. I have yet to test with 158's. Mine was built by Cogan and has an Aristocrat sight rib.

I saw your gun in the classifieds. Good buy.... Congratualations.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Since I no longer shoot PPC, I am going to put a red dot on mine and use it for Action Pistol. The potential problem with this plan is that PPC guns are designed to shoot 148 wadcutters. I have yet to test with 158's. Mine was built by Cogan and has an Aristocrat sight rib.

I saw your gun in the classifieds. Good buy.... Congratualations.

Thanks!

Tell me more about Action Pistol! I'm looking for some way to justify this gun! It's so accurate, it just begs to compete!

:ar15:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I shot my first and only NRA Action Pistol match last fall at Wildcat Valley with my PPC gun. Think Bianchi Cup and that is NRA Action Pistol.

The iron sights on our two guns are quite specialized. #1 is POI=POA for 15 yards or less, #2 is for a shoulder hold on the B27 target at 25 yards, #3 is for a shoulder hold on the B27 target at 50 yards. At 25 and 50, the bullets go into the 10 and x-rings way below POA. I believe most folks shoot PPC double action because there is not enough time for Single action except at the 50 yard line.

You have a 4th setting and I don't know what that is for.

Last edited:

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I shot my first and only NRA Action Pistol match last fall at Wildcat Valley with my PPC gun. Think Bianchi Cup and that is NRA Action Pistol.

The iron sights on our two guns are quite specialized. #1 is POI=POA for 15 yards or less, #2 is for a shoulder hold on the B27 target at 25 yards, #3 is for a shoulder hold on the B27 target at 50 yards. At 25 and 50, the bullets go into the 10 and x-rings way below POA.

You have a 4th setting and I don't know what that is for.

All of his settings are adjustable via set screw Slough, I have no idea if yours is as well.

So his settings could be... all over the place or whatever he wants them to.

1 could be lower than 2, but higher than 3 etc.

They arent fixed.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    All of his settings are adjustable via set screw Slough, I have no idea if yours is as well.

So his settings could be... all over the place or whatever he wants them to.

1 could be lower than 2, but higher than 3 etc.

They arent fixed.

Yes sir, the set screws for each setting are adjusted so that the rounds drop into the center of the B27 target with whatever sight picture is desired. Most PPC shooters use a shoulder hold at 25 and 50 yards because it is easily defined on that big black silhoutte b27 target used in PPC competition.

For less than 15 yards, you can see the 10 ring so you caan just put the front sight there and get your perfect hits.

You are right, depending on the setting and the yard line, the rear sight might be up or down.

Mine has an Aristocrat sight rib from the mid-1990's.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN

The iron sights on our two guns are quite specialized. ...

Thanks for explaining that. I had no idea why it would be set to hit so low. I figured he just didn't use setting 3. I never shot it on setting 4, but i'd guess it's POA=POI at 50 yards, just based on how much higher it sets the sight than position 1.

When/where did you shoot PPC? Is it still going on? Can a non-LE even participate?

Dom, I havn't touched the sights, and for right now don't intend to! I figure the previous owner probably had them set how slough is describing, atleast it makes sence based on what i know so far. Positions #1 and #2 had very similar points of impact, as shown in my targets. Position 3 was very low, as slough described.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Yes sir, the set screws for each setting are adjusted so that the rounds drop into the center of the B27 target with whatever sight picture is desired. Most PPC shooters use a shoulder hold at 25 and 50 yards because it is easily defined on that big black silhoutte b27 target used in PPC competition.

For less than 15 yards, you can see the 10 ring so you caan just put the front sight there and get your perfect hits.

You are right, depending on the setting and the yard line, the rear sight might be up or down.

Mine has an Aristocrat sight rib from the mid-1990's.

This is cool info. Thanks man.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Thanks for explaining that. I had no idea why it would be set to hit so low. I figured he just didn't use setting 3. I never shot it on setting 4, but i'd guess it's POA=POI at 50 yards, just based on how much higher it sets the sight than position 1.

When/where did you shoot PPC? Is it still going on? Can a non-LE even participate?

Dom, I havn't touched the sights, and for right now don't intend to! I figure the previous owner probably had them set how slough is describing, atleast it makes sence based on what i know so far. Positions #1 and #2 had very similar points of impact, as shown in my targets. Position 3 was very low, as slough described.

I am just glad I didnt mess with them either.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I shot matches in Indiana and Michigan. I went to the PPC Nationals in Jackson, Mississippi until the tornado came through and wrecked the Police range and they moved it to Albuquerque. Just too far to drive for me.

I am pretty sure non-LEO (I hate the term civilian) can compete in PPC. The PPC rules are on the NRA website.

This is my Cogan Custom PPC gun......

2rygg7t.jpg

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I am hoping the OP is still subscribed to it and can see the zeroing instructions that I just found for the Aristocrat sight.

11lhrtz.jpg

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Hey sloughfoot. That picture didn't open in my browser! Do you have a different link to it?

I plan to take this gun out again this weekend, I'll be sure to post up the results! It makes me sad i havn't been shooting it more, but you know, that whole job thing gets in the way of the important stuff!

Top Bottom