About to take the plunge.... Any last words?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    .308 Didn't get stuck it more or less got hung. I couldn't tap it out, so I pulled the die and then it came out. Not sure. I'm going to get calipers today.

I did an eye ball comparison to a known good round. Don't mind pulling bullets, its all about learning.

What about the 4 rounds that I fubar'd the neck on? Do I yank the rounds and toss the case in the trash?

-JD-

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Now is as good a time as any to start a brass recycling bucket. It adds up and is worth money. Spent primers can go in the same bucket. Just yank the bullets and use them for plinking if you scar them up.

The OAL length has to be pretty close if you used a loaded round to reset the seating die. A few thousandth's difference won't change anything.

I am going to order of those presses from MidwayUSA. I am impressed with it, especially for rifle ammo and small runs of pistol ammo.

Last edited:

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, get it from Midway. Kempf isn't much cheaper and you get the scale and Lee's book for less money. Oh and you get all the reamers and deburring tools. I had to purchase those too. I ended up way behind if I would have just ordered from Midway.

-JD-

Slim400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    INDIANAPOLIS SS IN
    Reloading

It sounds like you've made a good decision. If you are on a budget lee equipment is definitely the way to go. You will find as you go along other things you will need and begin to collect. Them the only problem reloading is like a Lego set it's never done.
    Do not be upset when you look at other people's reloading equipment and think how someone can afford this. I personally have been reloading for over 20 years I'm sorry 30 years so it's a collection over time. I would say this to you to cast iron equipment is definitely more durable but you got to start someplace. Also watch your supplies if you go to local retailers you will end up paying a premium dollar for most of it if you can stand by in a little quantity you can end up very right. I would also pick a power that will serve your purposes across the board since you are looking to load bottleneck cartridges this may be difficult as most rifle cartridges use a hysterical power or extruded power, known as Lincoln log powder most pistol powers our flak but if you will be careful and look at your load data. I'm sure you will find a bullet to work for each caliper they will share a common powder.
    If I can be of any help or you're looking for information please feel free to PM or e-mail davidowen@yahoo.com or call 317-549-5012
    Dave

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Anyone know where I can get me some of that "hysterical" rifle powder? Is that anything like "spherical" powder? :D

Sorry Slim, I just couldn't resist. We all know whatchya meant! :)

Top Bottom