ACT Defensive Rifle 101-Intro to Defensive Rifle 24may14 Riley Conservation Club

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    How about from my perspective, MC6?

Smaller class,which I prefer, so we had an opportunity to get through all of the 101 material and time for a preview of the 201 material. Since one of the students ran an AK part of the day, we got a chance to compare and contrast the AK platform with the AR. One of the students was transitioning from the FAL platform of his days in service to the AR and was pleasantly surprised at the AR's reliability and performance.

I think the one of the standout items of the day was when we went to the bay and started to run the gear that we all brought along. Chest rigs, battle belts, pants belt mounted carriers were all tried. Very diverse setups with such a small group. Most importantly, we were able to compare and contrast all this gear, when each style might be more appropriate and the difficulties that must be overcome with each system.

I look forward to hearing from the students.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    One of the students was transitioning from the FAL platform of his days in service to the AR and was pleasantly surprised at the AR's reliability and performance.

Where did he serve with the FAL? Australia?

I always kinda wanted an FAL, but for the price I don't really need one.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    England.
    It was in fact the L1A1 platform which is the imperial version of the FAL. These were British commonwealth issue during the 70's & 80's when I served.
    Really enjoyed the course and the AR's first outing at a class.
    I'll get an AAR out later this week. Needless to say it was a great class put on once again by the ACT folks and great to meet other shooters too.
    Nigel

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    AAR ACT DR101; Introduction to defensive Rifle
    Riley Conservation Club, Sat 24[SUP]th[/SUP] May 0900 – 1700
    Instructors: John Viray, Granger Viray
    Students: Nad63, The Bubba Effect, PKendall317

The class started off with quick introductions and a brief chat about what we as students were hoping to get from this course, what our expectations and aspirations were.
    John then provided a four page handout and the course formerly started. We started, as usual, with the four basic safety rules and safety was stressed from the start of the course and throughout the class.
    Various topics were discussed during the classroom session:
    · Goals. Class/life threatening situation.
    · Attitude/Mindset/”controlled aggression”
    · How to stop the threat.
    Ranging from the instant incapacitation from shot placement to the Medulla oblongata/damage to the central nervous system to blood loss/reduction of mobility and to the ‘psychological stop’.
    · Where to shoot an assailant
    Preferred shot placement for a target of opportunity/situational dependency.
    · Ammunition selection
    Different varieties briefly discussed.
    · Different types of gear (show and tell)
    Battle belt set ups, chest rigs, plate carriers, slings, lights, pouches and holsters etc. etc.
    Everyone was wearing or using different gear and these classes always offer the chance to review different gear and see what is available and what actually works.
    The classroom portion was tailored to the three student’s needs and interests. All three students had prior rifle experience so there was no need for the group to discuss basic marksmanship, sight alignment, trigger control etc. etc. I bring this up so that everyone who might be considering a class with ACT knows that they tailor the classes to the specific needs of the students.
    With the foreplay out of the way it was off to the range for the fun stuff J(bay #3, I believe).
    There were five paper torso target set up with six (numbered) sub targets around the perimeter. We shot from around 25-30 yards up to point blank range during the course of the day.
    Initially we shot three shot groups from about 25 yards to check our zero. Everyone adjusted as needed.
    Since this was primarily a CQB/defensive rifle class most of the shooting was conducted at 15 yards or less. A majority of it between 7-12 yards I.E. Typical distances you would encounter within the home.
    After confirming zero we checked the offset of out sight to our barrels which is particularly important during CQB drills. Typically we were all around 3-4 inches different when up close on the target (point blank range). This makes a big difference especially when shooting to hit the cranio-ocular triangle. I think we all forgot at one point or another about our offsets. This was especially evident during rapid fire drills at the six smaller targets surrounding the torso target.
    We were encouraged to square off to the target versus the older side on method (bladed stance).
    We leaned the high/flat stock ready position and incorporated it into various shooting scenarios we practiced. Lateral movement left and right, different targets within a single target (ocular triangle, thoracic triangle, COM plus the six surrounding satellite targets #1-6) and we were encouraged to MOVE. Get off the line of action and move whenever we weren’t actively firing. As soon as we had one drill under our belts we were onto the next one. Building our skill-set as we progressed.
    By mid afternoon we got to incorporate all of the elements we had acquired/practiced over the course of the day. These were combined into what’s referred to as the “Henk’ drill. This only required shooting ten rounds into a single target but all ten had to be inside the A zone. You started with a round in the chamber and a magazine in the gun loaded with another six rounds. One of the six rounds is a dummy round though so you do not know when it will cause a malfunction. Starting at the ‘high/flat stock’ ready you have to move off the line of action. Stop. Engage the target until you get a malfunction and then you have to MOVE while clearing the malfunction (Tap/pull/rack). Stop. Reengage the target and empty the magazine. When you have shot all the rounds in the magazine, MOVE, magazine change, chamber a round, stop and reengage the target putting three more rounds in the A zone. Then move and conduct a 360° scan. While we all performed the drill multiple times it is safe to say we will require substantially more practice to become proficient at it!
    We moved on to engaging multiple targets while on the move, driving the gun as we moved off the line of action. The key here was to not only move laterally but also to close/distance the target. This seemed a bit easier than the ‘Henk ‘drill since we pretty much kept moving once we had started in motion.
    The shooting part of the day wrapped up with us transitioning from our rifles to our secondary weapons.
    The class wrapped up with a student critique/AAR of the days activities.
    Midway through the activities a hotdog lunch with snacks was provided by ACT and we got the opportunity to both talk guns and get to know each other a little better.
    Conclusion:
    If you are looking to taking some training I’d recommend training with ACT. The ACT guys provide a safe, fun, challenging environment in which to hone your skills.
    There is no set regimen or mentality that their way is the best. They tend to offer you choices and expose you to alternate methods but you are encouraged to adopt what works best for you. They work with you and help steer you in the right direction along the way.
    This was my first AR course but it helped dispel the myth that AR’s are unreliable. AR’s can be more reliable than AK’s! Sorry Patrick.
    Thanks to all envolved for a fun day and I’m already looking forward to DR201. Any idea when that will be offered?
    Nigel

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Excellent review, Nigel! Thank you!

I'm sorry I was not able to attend. It sounds like you all had a good day on the range.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Rhino you were conspicuous by your absence sir but Granger did a bang up job.

I especially liked the part where he helped fish red hot brass from someone's battle-belt/a$&crack! The look on Patricks face was priceless.
    He quickly regained his composure quickly though and muttered something about a kiss first next time!
    Priceless.
    (I bet he doesn't recall that either!)

Top Bottom