• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So I have been carrying at 0400, IWB for a short bit now. It is comfortable and doesn't require as much extra real estate with the waist line in the pants as 0300 did.

Have a side job out in the country at some family property. Went out a couple times and before I started working I decided to do a little live fire practice.

Well today it was early and I had a light jacket on. Getting to the gun and getting close to on target was a chore. Maybe it is because of my over sized front end, but it definitely was cumbersome. Almost to the point where I considered moving to the 0300 position. This would be tougher to do with the pants I had on, so I waited.

I am still lugging around my AIWB holster in case I just decide to dump the concealed draw (which I stink at anyhow).

Any change is going to take time to get used to and start new muscle memory. In the end, it's up to you to decide if the trade offs of one carry position vs the other are worth it. I remain a strong proponent of the strong side hip carry as a default carry position, but you have to figure out what works for you and for the situations you are most likely to need your firearm in.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have found that when wearing a heavy winter Cathcart coat, it's much more faster, and easier, to draw your gun while carrying AIWB. Instead of having to unzip my coat, I can just pull it up quickly, and then draw and ready to rock.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have found that when wearing a heavy winter Cathcart coat, it's much more faster, and easier, to draw your gun while carrying AIWB. Instead of having to unzip my coat, I can just pull it up quickly, and then draw and ready to rock.

In terms of pure speed, probably true. In terms of speed from the time and adversary realizes you have started a draw stroke, though, which is faster?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    In terms of pure speed, probably true. In terms of speed from the time and adversary realizes you have started a draw stroke, though, which is faster?

I have no idea. But, on an episode of the show, The Best Defense, Mike Seeklander and Michael Janich demonstrated how fast it is to draw on someone that already has their gun pointed at you. And they were both carrying AIWB. They really push that you keep your hands around your belt line, instead of raising your hands over your head.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have no idea. But, on an episode of the show, The Best Defense, Mike Seeklander and Michael Janich demonstrated how fast it is to draw on someone that already has their gun pointed at you. And they were both carrying AIWB. They really push that you keep your hands around your belt line, instead of raising your hands over your head.

What someone else can do is irrelevant. If you have a .75 second draw, you have options someone with a 1.35 second draw doesn't. Consistency matters as well.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    If I've got a gun on me from that close in I'm not immediately concerned with getting the draw on them. I'm concerned about deflecting and getting off line from the muzzle and then either fighting to my gun in close or creating space and drawing and applying bullets to them. That may be using 1 hand or 2 hands depending on what's available and how things unfold. Carry position seems kind of irrelevant in a close proximity encounter like that IMO.

Top Bottom