• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I been wanting to add an AK to the collection for a while but I'm having a hard time deciding what to get, ideally would like the AK74 because the low recoil but the cost of mags and not so easy to find ammo makes me think about it twice, the only thing I don't like about the AK 47 is that has more recoil but ammo is a lot easier to find and mags are cheaper. What makes more sense to buy?

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I suppose if it were my first it would be a 74. The only ammo that you would not be able to get is the Russian Surplus, Wolf is still making it as are other companies so you could feed it easily. I love all AK's though, another sad thing is you aren't going to find a Saiga. They were the best of them IMO but the VEPR is a close second as are the rest of them, it's a hard rifle to mess up.

I love AKs. They are great rifles and cheap to feed even now. Mags, ammo and anything else as about equal to obtain for either the 47 or 74. The AK47 is a touch cheaper to feed and find mags for but they are close enough in my mind not to matter. Get the one you can afford is my advice and then when able, get the other one too. I have several AK47's and several 74's as well as a 308 Saiga as well as a few 223 AK's. Get wgat you like and feel good as you can hardly go wrong.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    For the first one get the ak47. If you look at the sheer amount of ammo overall in a end of the world as we know it situation there will be far more 7.62 in stashes. Unless Putin invades the USA.

The 47 recoil is a little sharper but it is an auto. Even with my polytechnic folder I could shoot it all day without a problem and it comes back to target just as fast as anything else. My 13 year old daughter has no problem dumping 30 round mags and 75 round drums. The. Again she does her own body piercing so don't let that effect your man card status.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I currently only own one AK. It's an Arsenal side folder in .223/5.56. I decided on that because I have AR's and wanted to keep some caliber commonality. Yes mags for it are more expensive.
    I think I have 7 mags for mine. How many more do I need? None in my opinion. Ammo is plentiful, and I think it is more accurate than your standard AK shooting surplus ammo. Also in some sort of a crisis situation, you will have a better chance of finding .223/5.56 in my opinion, here in the U.S.
    For me it just made sense. I have owned all of them at one time or another. If I had the choice between the two you are thinking of, I would go '47.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I have and love both, but probably give my 74's an edge over the 47's. I like the lighter recoil and increased accuracy, but both are extremely capable of doing what they're designed to do. That said, I bought my mags and ammo before the price went up so if I were starting from scratch in today's market, I'd probably lean towards the 47.

Now that the VEPR's and Saiga's are banned, I would either save up for an Arsenal SLR or maybe look for a decent deal on a Chinese. The Yugo's are nice for the money, but the non chrome lined barrels really turn me off. There are also several companies that build good quality part kit guns like Vector.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I prefer 47s. You can't beat the round for intermediate barrier destruction. 74 rounds are almost the same money nowadays so thats not really a factor for me. The 74 round is too similar to the 223. If I wanted that, I'd buy an AR. My next AK purchase though will be that new .223 with the AR mag adapter. I figure in a shtf situation I'd rather have a super reliable compact rifle that uses the most common and available mags and ammo and never need cleaning.

azcrazy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2014
    Cave Creek
    Despite all the stuff I've read about them, I bought the Wasr 10 AK 47 pattern. The rifle shoots consistent groups. I knew I wasn't buying a tack driver, but with a good rest, I think it will shoot pretty tight. To tell the truth, I really don't notice the recoil, even though most of my rifle shooting lately, prior to buying the Ak, is with ARs. I also like the fact that it has a chrome lined barrel.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    They are great entry level AK's. Once you buy a true quality AK Down the road, the difference will blow your mind! Congrats on the purchase (I love my wasrs) and don't forget to post pictures in the AK show and tell thread!!! :)

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    I prefer short barrels, like, Krink-short. At the lower velocities, 5.56 doesn't function as well, and I would expect 5.45 to do about the same. Even subsonic, 7.62 is still a decent chunk of metal moving your way in a hurry. I wouldn't want to take a hit from any of these, but if I need to put a hurtin' on something, I'd go for the bigger round.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Now that 7n6 is banned I would go with the 47
    Why? The 5.45x39 isn't banned and is still imported and readily availible. I wish all these people dumping their ak74 rifles at local gun shops because of a false panic over the ban of steel core ammo would contact me and sell them to me for the raping their getting at the gun shops

Top Bottom