• ...and so much more!
  • xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    Hey INGO!
    I'm going to start a project with a Lancaster Arms AK74 with a milled receiver. I want to build a nice AK, I would like to stay away from Tapco at all cost. Mostly because of my experiences with Tapco and my SKS....

I'm looking into some stuff from ACE right now. Mostly there wire frame side folding stocks. I also want to add a forward rail. I already have a CompM2 ready for this guy.

Any advice? Experiences? Thanks in advance...

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Good thinking about staying away from Tapco... HOWEVER

The Tapco G2 trigger group is actually a really nice piece. One of the better/best you can buy for an AK. So do not rule that part out.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    If the receiver is set up for the double hook trigger, I would go with that. Personal feeling is that they seem to have better feel.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Ok I looked into the G2 trigger kits and they reviews are great. Only question now is to do the double hook or single hook....

What trigger is in it now? By that, I mean is it a single or a double hook? I'm guessing it's a single and I'll further guess that it's a Tapco G2.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    then only a single hook trigger will work unless you slot the trigger hole for a 2nd hook.

all aks will work with a single hook, only some aks will work with a double hook.\

and odds are if its a lancaster ak, then it already has a US FCG. so the tapco wouldn't be much of an upgrade.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    +1 for G2 triggers personally i prefer double hooks little more comfort knowing the hammer locks back with two rather than one hook and its a easy mod if your not set up for a double hook just a little dremel work and your good to go

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ok so we got the trigger taken care of, so whats next to upgrade?

Traditional wood - IronWood Designs

Newer tech rail: Ultimak or Midwest Industries

Side Folder: Personally, I'd go with an East German or Romanian lever stock before I went with ACE... the Ace is just too bulky for my taste.

If you are looking to mount an aimpoint, remember that there are other options than fore rails.... like the Kalinka - which will mount an aimpoint using the side rails and still give you a co-witness.

You can also look through the AK picture thread and post up the ones you like.. I'm sure I or someone else here can tell you what upgrades they are sporting.

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    and dont forget the classic east German bakelite mags and aimsurplus has the 45rd ones now

Ya, I plan on getting a few extra mags for the zombie apocalypse.:ar15:
    Traditional wood - IronWood Designs

Newer tech rail: Ultimak or Midwest Industries

Side Folder: Personally, I'd go with an East German or Romanian lever stock before I went with ACE... the Ace is just too bulky for my taste.

If you are looking to mount an aimpoint, remember that there are other options than fore rails.... like the Kalinka - which will mount an aimpoint using the side rails and still give you a co-witness.

You can also look through the AK picture thread and post up the ones you like.. I'm sure I or someone else here can tell you what upgrades they are sporting.
    Ya, I was watching Full Autos videos and I really like the Midwest Industries rails, but Im open to suggestions.

I kind of hope that the Ace Skeleton stock will help balance my AK since I plan on a forward rail and a Aimpoint. I want to try to avoid the rifle being muzzle heavy.

My AK doesn't have the side rail. So Im limited on where I can mount my optics. Also I am from the belief of not using Co-witness. I feel that if I can open my field of view by taking the iron sights out of my sight picture, I can focus more on the target and lest on lining up the front and back sight witch defeats the reasoning of a CCO.

Thanks for the advice on cruising the AK pictures. I should have done that long ago.

Thanks guys, keep the advice coming.

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Find out all the parts for the Bulgarian 74 from Atlantic Arms and order each part yourself. However i doubt you'll be able to beat the price that they build them for. Midwest AK rails if you like all that rail furniture looks the coolest and best.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    What Kalinka mount allows co-witnessing?

The Kalinka PK-01V v.3.0

Kalinka PK-01V AK Side Mount w/ 30 mm Heavy Duty Ring v.3.0

sthlem30-1.jpg

mount1od6.jpg

Top Bottom