• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    This is a short demo on how “I” fit my AK74 Mags in my Ak101’s, thats Ak’s in 223/556 for ya new guys.
    Some of us have gazed upon 74 mags such as plum 5.45 mags, Ak12 mags or 5.45 bakelite, prototype Tulas….
    Me?
    I’m plum crazy. I like polymer 100 series ak’s, 3 channel 103’s, NPZ side mounts, Zenitco and other modern Izhmash goodies but always had a thing for 74 plum mags, but no way in hell would I invest in 5.45x39.
    While researching the ak101 I seen where the 5.45 mags have similar dimensions to the current 556 mags and will function in most of the 223 Ak rifles with little modification. After hearing about this
    Ya better believe I was ready to buy a 74 heavy flecked plum!

So what does it take.

To use the 5.45 mag in your 223/556 Ak you will have to make little modifications to your 5.45 mag.
    Most of time the 5.45 mag un altered will not allow the bolt to travel and pick up the round and also will not allow you to rack your handle fully and damage the metal reinforcement on the inside top of
    the mag.

There is a new follow made by a company called Pod Arms. This follower will replace the original 5.45 follower and allow the 223/556 bolt to feed the rounds into the chamber properly and with increased reliability. Gotta get one to begin.

What you need.

Straight file
    A measuring device
    Pod Arms Follower

The bolt will have to travel freely inside the mag to function so what you will need is to file the two tabs evenly and perfectly parallel, you cannot over file or file crooked. This will cause the bolt to snag or allow rounds to pop out of a loaded mag and feed inconsistently and then you have an expensive paperweight.

Here is a 556 Bulgarian Waffle with the current measurement from inside the lips. IMG_4729.jpeg

The width of the 556 C10 mag is a bit wider than the stock 5.45 mag, sorry I don’t have a visual on the measurement here…
    IMG_4711.jpeg

What you need to do to get your bolt to pass freely and without issue is use a nice flat file and slowly shave out these edges.

Remember the file cuts one way. Go 4 passes on one side, 4 passes on the other and keep checking for clearance. If you do not have a tool like mine to use for measuring use your Ak’s bolt.

Go a little at a time until your bolt is able to pass freely evenly on both sides, AGAIN you cannot file unevenly or crooked the shave must be parallel!
    It won’t take many passes and don’t be overly aggressive with the filing.

After filing just a little bit the measurements from the rear, middle and front are darn near even
    IMG_4727.png

The bolt should be able to pass freely all the way through. Re assemble your rifle and charge the handle, If there is any friction when charging check the mag with the bolt again for clearance.
    IMG_4737.jpeg

Charges Good?

Now feed and test for function.

IMG_4722.jpeg

I will not guarantee this alteration with 5.45 mags will work with your 223/556 Ak.

Last edited:

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Excellent write-up, @indyk!

Really digging the Pod Arms followers myself. Haven't had any issues so far. Also haven't had to alter the mags at all - just replaced the factory followers, loaded, rocked, locked, and good to go. Love the factory Polish Beryl mags, but I agree - crazy about Russian plum.

20221021_174449.jpg
    20221021_174516.jpg

Top Bottom