• ...and so much more!
  • Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Which is worth more and will continue to go up in price the most? An all correct WWII M1 carbine made by IBM. Or a Marlin 1897 Texan lever action .22 made for only one year? Thoughts??

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I'd say m1 around 750-9 depending condition Marlin 700-1200 depending condition.
    They go for well over $1000 on CMP auction every time there is a batch that closes. I suspect the IBM will command more not to mention the fact that it is all correct. Mixmasters go for the $1000 and up.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Pre Remington marlins have seen a major increase in value. If we were talking 4 years ago then the marlin has had the largest increase in value of that period of time. Going forward they should both increase in value about the same amount over time.

both are rather rare but there are a lot less Texan marlin 1897 made than WWII m1's.

If you need to move the marlin or the type writer let me know.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Which is worth more and will continue to go up in price the most? An all correct WWII M1 carbine made by IBM. Or a Marlin 1897 Texan lever action .22 made for only one year? Thoughts??

I think that guns as an investment are, at best, a break-even plan. Shoot them as much as possible, learn their idiosyncrasies, modify as required/desired. After you're done having fun with it, consider selling to fuel your next project. It's not who dies with the most toys that wins; it's who got to play with the most toys that wins.

So stop worrying about the value of those fine rifles and get them out in the open air to ventilate some targets! Share them with your buddies on the line so that they can appreciate some real American craftsmanship. That's what they were designed to do ... not sit around and collect dust.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I think that guns as an investment are, at best, a break-even plan. Shoot them as much as possible, learn their idiosyncrasies, modify as required/desired. After you're done having fun with it, consider selling to fuel your next project. It's not who dies with the most toys that wins; it's who got to play with the most toys that wins.

So stop worrying about the value of those fine rifles and get them out in the open air to ventilate some targets! Share them with your buddies on the line so that they can appreciate some real American craftsmanship. That's what they were designed to do ... not sit around and collect dust.

TJ, I agree with you on "get them out in the open". Thing is ,I do not own the M1 carbine. Someone else does and they want my Marlin 1897 Texan in trade. I shoot EVERYTHING I own or I will not own it. So...this is why I ask "which is worth and will be worth more". Anyone else have input? Please I invite it. BTW the guy has $1200.00 on the IBM. Thanks all.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    TJ, I agree with you on "get them out in the open". Thing is ,I do not own the M1 carbine. Someone else does and they want my Marlin 1897 Texan in trade. I shoot EVERYTHING I own or I will not own it. So...this is why I ask "which is worth and will be worth more". Anyone else have input? Please I invite it. BTW the guy has $1200.00 on the IBM. Thanks all.

if you are going to shoot them I would keep the marlin. 30 carbine ammo and brass is expensive if you don't reload then the cmp is the major ammo supplier and they have been out. That said if you are getting 1200 in trade value you should be up a good amount on the Texan. Like I stated the major jump in value has accrued on the marlin when Remington took over. The texans and 336sc even the std's and 1894 limited jumped from the high dollar to collector status. If you can afford a good year model 39a or Mountie make the trade. If I remember right the Texan 1897 is just a straight stocked short barreled 39A and can be replaced as a shooter is 500.

I shoot all of my guns but some I have only put a couple of rounds down range with. I have plenty of shooters. I guess others are more like liquid assets. Colt python with no cylinder marks at all is not going to get shot much when you have a trooper II and a smith 586.
    Offer 1000 cash money for the typewriter if all the numbers match and the arsenal marks are correct. Up it 80 dollars max. Or make the trade straight up. I do not have the production numbers but the Texan is far more rare than the typewriter. The auto ordnance m1 paratrooper is under 800 new so if you are just wanting a shooter look their also

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    You talking old or new Texan? I have one made in the 20's and would not let it go for 2 M1 Carbines no matter how good they were. Don't know much on the new Texan other than I like the looks better than the carbine.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    You talking old or new Texan? I have one made in the 20's and would not let it go for 2 M1 Carbines no matter how good they were. Don't know much on the new Texan other than I like the looks better than the carbine.

I would be talking about the new Texan. Marlin made them for one year. I believe 2002-2003?

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County

Ahhh ... the back story. You'll be money ahead with the trade, but jmarriott's comments are well stated ... M1 Carbines are fun as all get out to shoot, but unless you reload, the ammo cost is a bit salty. The rest of his comments are also spot on.

I'd try to get the Carbine for cash, if not, the trade is in your favor. This is a real tough choice though, it's not easy parting with a Marlin.

Top Bottom