Alright suppressor gurus tell me what I need and why I need it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've got a new savage 10FP-SR in 223 coming my way and after I do some homework I'd like to put a supressor on it. The problem is that I have no idea what suppressor to buy. By my nature I'm a frugal guy, but I see no point in going through the trouble of buying a suppressor that "kinda" makes the rifle quieter.

I want something that removes every bit of sound that is mechanically possible to remove. I understand that I'll need to use subsonic ammo to really get the benefit of the supressor, but beyond that I'm a blank slate on knowing my way around suppressors.

Do any of you guys ever regret putting a suppressor on your rifles?

Do any of you guys wish you'd have done something different?

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I've got a new savage 10FP-SR in 223 coming my way and after I do some homework I'd like to put a supressor on it. The problem is that I have no idea what suppressor to buy. By my nature I'm a frugal guy, but I see no point in going through the trouble of buying a suppressor that "kinda" makes the rifle quieter.

I want something that removes every bit of sound that is mechanically possible to remove. I understand that I'll need to use subsonic ammo to really get the benefit of the supressor, but beyond that I'm a blank slate on knowing my way around suppressors.

Do any of you guys ever regret putting a suppressor on your rifles?

Do any of you guys wish you'd have done something different?

No, I love shooting my Rem. 700 suppressed.

No. Again I love shooting my Remington suppressed.

My current setup is about to be a AAC 7.62-SD-6. While not the quietest can for 7.62, it does it well and is also small enough to be handy on my 5.56 and with subs in the .308 is stupid quiet anyway.

Think first if you want thread on or QD, then think of size. Ammo and barrel length will dictate the sound reduction more than the can itself.

My favorites are the AAC 7.62-SD and SDN-6 for QD, and the SWR Omega 30 for thread on. I also enjoy the sound and mounts for SAS .308 can as well.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    What are the pros and cons of threaded vs quick detach? Besides one being quicker to put on & take off is it going to make much difference in the amount of sound it reduces?

The barrel on this rifle is 22" so I don't know how much that's going to be a factor.

As far as subsonic ammo goes, I'm also at a loss. I've never bought any subsonic 223 ammo and I've certainly never reloaded any. Any ammo suggestions would be great too.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    the 7.62SD is a nice size on a .223 and looks good on an AR like Jahred said, and you would have .30 cal capabilities if you should so desire it.

Oh and once you shoot suppressed you won't want to go back or regret it at all.

Buy once cry once, even if you have to save up for the can you want. You will most likely own it for life, because used cans on form 4's are hard to sell for much.

Good luck.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    Quick detach doesn't come loose while shooting, avoiding baffle strikes. On a bolt gun I like thread on because it seems to me to have less point of shift on your bullet when you take the can on and off because it threads on the same way. Thread on is a cheaper silencer, and the aac muzzle breaks and hiders aren't cheap.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    You'll most likely have to reload your own Subs, as they are either really hard to find and costly. There is tons of load data out there.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    With the threaded barrel on my new rifle I'm also considering buying just a regular old A2 flash suppressor. If nothing else it'll make a good thread protector that does something other than just sit there.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    With the threaded barrel on my new rifle I'm also considering buying just a regular old A2 flash suppressor. If nothing else it'll make a good thread protector that does something other than just sit there.

Nah, don't put an A2 on there. You will get no benefit, and for a precision rifle, you take the chance of affecting accuracy, with basically no benefit. Knurled thread protectors are cheap and easy to come by.

I would make an effort to listen to a centerfire round being suppressed IN PERSON before you decide to buy. It's louder than you might think, though it is LOTS quieter than unsuppressed. Some people are disappointed when they think it's going to be "Hollywood quiet".

Subsonic .223 is very hard to find, and ballistically useless. It has barely better performance than .22LR. If you don't like the suppression level of .223 supersonic rounds, I would look at a rimfire or handgun can.

That said, I have an AAC M4-2000 for my AR SBR and I love it.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Being a frugal guy myself, I went with a .30 cal can. It's from SAS and is a very good and very reasonably priced can. It is big and heavy especially on an AR, but it works very well. .223 subsonic loads are fun to play with and have much more power than everyone says. Figure you'll shoot a bullet that weighs nearly double of what most .22lr bullets do at comparable speeds. Plus, you've got much better BC for flatter flights and better penetration. that being said, I loaded up about 20 of them and haven't played with them again.

My best advice is to go somewhere where you can hear/shoot a suppressed rifle. It is much quieter but nowhere near hollywood quiet. Depending on the bullet style, I can shoot a .223 or .308 without hearing protection. Figure that a good can gives you about the same dB reduction that a good set of earplugs do. No can will quiet the sound of the bulet travel, though and it's suprising how loud that can be. My range is in a valley, so you get a lot of reflected noise. If you shoot out in an open field, it'll be much quieter.

Another piece of advice is to save more and buy a better can. I really like my SAS stainless can, but now that i have it, and will have it forever, I wish I"d have saived a bit longer and bought a Ti can, jsut for less weight.

Barrel threading will run you around a hundred bucks a barrel. Many of the QD type use a proprietary brake or flash hider that can run upwards of a hundred bucks. That will probbly be a factor in deciding if you want a QD or a screw on type of can. Oh, and most folks consider a QD to be more of a quick attach feature, rather than a quick detach, unless you remeeber to bring a welding glove with you! I'm happy with my thread on can, even swapping between a boltgun and two different AR uppers.

If you think you'd ever want to get into a .30 cal rifle, Id suggest the extra size and weight of a .30 cal can. Unless you are doing SWAT drills all day long, I doubt you'll mind teh extra weight and size for the versatility trade off. You could look at one of the new Thompson Machine .30 cal cans, as they are not much bigger/heavier than thier .223 cans.

Doug K

Top Bottom