Ambi-AR lowers: Aftermarket parts on Mil-Spec or Proprietary Lower?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I'm one of those wrong-handed people and I'd like to have things be ambidextrous to the degree feasible, but should I Frankenstein the lowers I've got using aftermarket parts or just get a proprietary lower that's designed to be ambidextrous?

There are many bolt catches for people like me (Geissele Maritime and its clones, the Magpul BAD lever and its clones, etc), as well as ambi-mag releases (e.g. Norgon and its clones/adaptations). But I worry about the ease of function as stuff gets added - the aftermarket stuff looks like everything is pretty close on the lower.

On the other hand, there are several proprietary lowers that have ambidextrous features by design. A few options I know of
    Budget line
    • Aero lower with PDQ installed
    Premium(?) lines
    • Primary Weapon Systems
    • LMT MARS-L
    • ADM UIC
    • Radian AXTS
    • KAC SR15 (would prefer to buy a stripped lower)
    I would like lowers to work with various uppers so I can choose a lefthand ejecting upper if I want (suck-it, righties).

Any thoughts?

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    I'd spend the money on a proprietary ambidextrous lower, but not all "ambi" lowers have both a bold lock and bolt release options. Spend the extra money and go with one of the premium ones.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I ended up ponying up the extra cash to get an ADM AMD4 "duty" (blem), partially after seeing that it's (mostly) compatible with a Stag LH ejecting upper:
    Link to Reddit post with Stag LH upper and ADM lower
    Also picked up a pair of their special pins for drop-in triggers since I was already ordering, but my current plan is for an ALG ACT trigger after getting it suggested by CM and being in my budget range.

Thanks for the suggestions. Getting an entire rifle is tempting, but not currently feasible - I prefer bankruptcy by a thousand receipts.

Top Bottom