• ...and so much more!
  • Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    I watched one recently of him reviewing the Glock 19 gen4, and he had issues with a couple rounds. He seemed (if you watched enough of him, you know what I mean) to most impressed with the CCI/Spear Lawman FMJ, which can be purchased at similar prices. Even on the video, the differences are clear.
    Originally Posted by rgrimm01
    Earlier, I was watching Hickok 45 reviewing the new M&P shield and the bulk of the 9mm that he used was 115gr American Eagle brand ammo...
    The gen 4 glock was having issues with federal 115gr and the m&p shield was shooting REMINGTON UMC 115gr.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    The gen 4 glock was having issues with federal 115gr and the m&p shield was shooting REMINGTON UMC 115gr.

On the shield, you are absolutely correct. The 115gr he shot the majority of the time from the Romeo y Julieta cigar box that he referred to as bulk. The American Eagle was in the box closest to the top of the screen and 124gr. Thanks for the clarification.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    This is where a reloader would step in and mention a couple of things:

1) The case length may be significantly shorter than it should be, and since 9mm headspaces off the mouth, it was being driven forward by the firing pin instead of firing properly.

2) When you load your own ammo, or at least know how to, you can identify these problems and even make allowances for it. For example: If you had a bunch of short 9mm cases, you could determine the exact bullet length needed to be right at the lands, though not into them. Then, when your firing pin hit the primer, the case could not slide forward and your rounds would go off.

With that being said, these rounds may have been compromised in some other way and have nothing to do with case length or OAL. When you load your own, YOU are in complete control of these things, presuming the primers are in good shape when you get them.

Glad they are doing right by you and sending a new box of ammo. Now, run down to the LGS or go online and order your first reloading kit! :)

Salty Possum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    My mom has a 9mm 1911 and she's had the same problem with the same brand. She's switched to a different brand but out of 30 rounds she had 12 misfires and a jam.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    This is where a reloader would step in and mention a couple of things:

1) The case length may be significantly shorter than it should be, and since 9mm headspaces off the mouth, it was being driven forward by the firing pin instead of firing properly.

2) When you load your own ammo, or at least know how to, you can identify these problems and even make allowances for it. For example: If you had a bunch of short 9mm cases, you could determine the exact bullet length needed to be right at the lands, though not into them. Then, when your firing pin hit the primer, the case could not slide forward and your rounds would go off.

With that being said, these rounds may have been compromised in some other way and have nothing to do with case length or OAL. When you load your own, YOU are in complete control of these things, presuming the primers are in good shape when you get them.

Glad they are doing right by you and sending a new box of ammo. Now, run down to the LGS or go online and order your first reloading kit! :)

I just got into reloading a few weeks ago, only been doing .223 for now. Next on my list is .45 ACP, 9mm is low on my list to get started on reloading.

However, I think you hit the nail on the head on this one. After reading your post, I did measure the over cartridge length this evening with a quality digital micrometer, the ones that failed to go off were mostly around 27.15 mm to 27.32mm, thats over all length. My other boxes of factory ammo to include AE, Winchester, and Remmington all were within +/- .01 of 29.68. Since I do not reload 9mm, my guess is that this is part of my problem. I'll get pictures up in the morning to show what I mean.

In other news, I got my tracking number sent to me on my replacement box, should be here Friday.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I just got into reloading a few weeks ago, only been doing .223 for now. Next on my list is .45 ACP, 9mm is low on my list to get started on reloading.

However, I think you hit the nail on the head on this one. After reading your post, I did measure the over cartridge length this evening with a quality digital micrometer, the ones that failed to go off were mostly around 27.15 mm to 27.32mm, thats over all length. My other boxes of factory ammo to include AE, Winchester, and Remmington all were within +/- .01 of 29.68. Since I do not reload 9mm, my guess is that this is part of my problem. I'll get pictures up in the morning to show what I mean.

In other news, I got my tracking number sent to me on my replacement box, should be here Friday.

This is the first time I've seen OAL expressed in MM on this side of the pond, but you've likely hit on the root cause of your light primer strikes. In addition to the OAL, you might measure the case length to find if they are on the short side, as well.

Top Bottom