• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    Ok I was surfing Ebay and found this. I knew the US produced about 2.5-3 million Mosin Nagant I believe it was 1917 or 1918, but anyways the rifles themself are extremely rare and much higher quality than the Russian Mosin Nagants. Here is a Remington Bolt Handle. If it doesn't go up by much more I will snag it, but If I can't, maybe fellow Ingun member will.

[ame=http://cgi.ebay.com/Remington-M91-bolt-body-Mosin-Nagant-m-91-m91-30-/160580282951?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256354aa47]Remington M91 bolt body Mosin Nagant m-91 m91/30 | eBay[/ame]

Enjoy!

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Ok I was surfing Ebay and found this. I knew the US produced about 2.5-3 million Mosin Nagant I believe it was 1917 or 1918, but anyways the rifles themself are extremely rare and much higher quality than the Russian Mosin Nagants. Here is a Remington Bolt Handle. If it doesn't go up by much more I will snag it, but If I can't, maybe fellow Ingun member will.

Remington M91 bolt body Mosin Nagant m-91 m91/30 | eBay

Enjoy!

Not extremely rare and the quality of the Russian produced M91's where as good as the ones made by Remington & NEW. :patriot:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This is a question about Mosin Nagant rifles that I never knew for sure. I was told Westinghouse Electric actually produced a run of Mosin Nagant rifles when we were helping them against the Nazis. Anyone ever hear that or see one?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    This is a question about Mosin Nagant rifles that I never knew for sure. I was told Westinghouse Electric actually produced a run of Mosin Nagant rifles when we were helping them against the Nazis. Anyone ever hear that or see one?

Probably under contract from Remington?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    We have a Westinghouse Mosin Nagant and they are on par, quality wise, with other pre-WWII Mosins. They were made in 1917-1918 and in somewhat limited numbers, not the 2.5 to 3 million stated. I think there were under 500,000 delivered to Russia and the US took a bunch as well when the Russians could not pay for the remainder of their contract.

They were produced during WWI, not WWII. The one we have was built for the Czarist Russia, taken over by the Bolshevics and used against the Finnish during the war with Finland, captured by the Finns and used against the Russians. Or, at least that's what the markings on it indicate. I'd love to see a diary for this rifle and what it has done.

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    Not extremely rare and the quality of the Russian produced M91's where as good as the ones made by Remington & NEW. :patriot:

The American Mosin Nagants

"Late in 1917 the Russian government defaulted on its contracts with Remington and Westinghouse. The Russians refused to pay for the guns, claiming the rifles were of poor quality, but this was untrue: the American rifles were actually better-made than the Russian ones. The real reasons for default were simply the Russians’ shortage of ready cash and their unwillingness to pay."

"The total number of Mosin-Nagants made by the two American companies is debatable. Although the Russians contracted for 3.3 million of them it seems likely that only about 2.5 million M1891s were actually produced here. Some never left this country, but many more have come ”home” as imports over the past four decades bearing, like campaign medals, the markings of the impressive number of countries in which they served."
    Terence Lapin

Enjoy

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    The American Mosin Nagants

"Late in 1917 the Russian government defaulted on its contracts with Remington and Westinghouse. The Russians refused to pay for the guns, claiming the rifles were of poor quality, but this was untrue: the American rifles were actually better-made than the Russian ones. The real reasons for default were simply the Russians’ shortage of ready cash and their unwillingness to pay."

"The total number of Mosin-Nagants made by the two American companies is debatable. Although the Russians contracted for 3.3 million of them it seems likely that only about 2.5 million M1891s were actually produced here. Some never left this country, but many more have come ”home” as imports over the past four decades bearing, like campaign medals, the markings of the impressive number of countries in which they served."

Terence Lapin

Enjoy

Lapin never let the truth stand in the way of spinning a foolish story.

If you want the true scoop then go to this web site, there is more knowledge here than almost any other place outside of Russia.

7.62x54r.net

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Probably under contract from Remington?

No, New England Westinghouse produced M91's as well as Remington under a contract guaranteed buy Great Britian, and all the ones that shipped to Russia have the " english contract" stamp on there stocks. Those that didn't ship where bought up by the US goverment and where issued to Nat. Gaurd units, ROTC units, and sold to gun makers like Bannerman.

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    Ok, so I searched 7.62x54r.net and I'm still saying that the Remington M91s are Extremely Rare.

Extreme: Defined as: Most remote in any direction; outermost or farthest; Being in or attaining the greatest or highest degree; very intense; Extending far beyond the norm;

Rare: Defined as: thinly distributed over an area; few and widely separated; coming or occurring far apart in time; having the component parts not closely compacted together; unusually great; unusually excellent; admirable; fine

Since so few where made in complaisance to the number of Non-American M91s I would say that a American made M91 would be "extending far beyond the norm" of most peoples collections and owning one would be "unusually great" and "admirable".

And as for the quality I will let you all know for sure once I find one of these American made M91s to add to my collection.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    You mean one like this??? There are only a "5" on the rarity chart ( Rarity of Mosin Nagant Rifle Variations )

They are not rare, rare is such a overused word, remember you are talking about a rifle that Remington produced 840,000 over a 3 year period ( 1916-1918) of of which over 131,400 where delievered to Russia before they defaulted on the contract. By contrast the 1943 Izhevsk M44 production only totals 50,000, or Tula produced M38's which where produced only 2 years, 1940 & 1944 with a total production of 50,000. So no they are not rare by your own defination.

Here is one of the 131,400 that made it to Russia and was reperated from the Russian Army when Finland declared its independence from Russia during the 1917 Revolution. At some point the Finns rearsenaled it giving it a Finn 2 peice stock.

If you want to talk about a rare American made rifle the Russians used in 7.62x54r in WW1 the look up the Winchester 1895 Musket Rifle, Winchester produced them for Russia in WW1 and less than 200,000 where produced and less than 100 are thought to be in the US.

Here is a link to one.... http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?221339-WTS-1895-Winchester-russian-contract-musket

Last edited:
    Top Bottom