• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    is it just winter comming and less people buying or the fact that we are leaving i war behind that is cousing 5.56 ammo prices to come down?....what ever it is i hope it keeps going down, this is the time to stock up if your running low:dunno:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    It would be nice to see it come down to the levels of just a few years ago. I remember complaining when a case of Sellier & Bellot .223 went from $120 to $140 and then to $160 in a couple of months!!! I would love to be able to buy more at the price I complained about!!!

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Now is always time to stock up on ammo. If your waiting for prices to come down before you buy ammo, something will happen and you'll wish you had some. Always seems to work that way no matter what the case.

joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Either reload or buy online. They're still at bend-you-over prices in the local gun stores around Indy and Fort Wayne.

Why can I get a (heavy) case of ammo shipped to my door from across the country for cheaper than I can walking into a shop in town?

Joe

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I've been reloading for almost 3 decades but I've never been more happy about it than in the last few years. My daughter is shooting her great-grandfather's Model '92 in 44/40. In case you haven't looked, ammo for that round is only available in the mild loads which can be safely used in pistols and Model '73 rifles. The more powerful loads meant for the stronger actions are very difficult to find and absurdly expensive. The other ammo that shocked me was 30 Carbine. My son wanted to shoot my dad's post-war knock-off so we headed down to the local shop to buy a couple boxes. I was floored to find they wanted over $40 for a box of 50 rounds!! :ugh:

In both cases, they wanted somewhere around $1/ea for factory ammo. Even if I had to buy brand new brass every time, I can load these two old rounds for roughly $.50/ea. After the first loading, it's more like 30 cents per round, PLUS I get to load the 44/40 cases with a more powerful charge, making it a useful hunting rifle here in Indiana.

For me, I enjoy reloading; it's a relaxing way to spend an hour or two. It doesn't really save me money on ammo, it just means my family and I get to shoot about 3 times as much, for the same money. I bought my wife a 380ACP for Christmas and will even reload for that little sucker this winter. :)

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Basic investment strategy, buy low and sell high....

Basic firearm owner strategy, buy low, shoot some of it up, buy low again, shoot some of it up again and again...you'll have a nice little stockpile soon

Top Bottom