• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kaiser

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    lafayette area
    Looking for some input which do you all prefer? Any pros and cons? going to purchase a 1000 rounds of one or the other. I have been shooting the LC Federal 5.56 62 grain m855 and like it. Groups very well and will run with out a misfeed or jam. However I can buy the remmington .223 55 grain for a lot less per 1000. I have not shot anyb of the remmington ammo. Let em know what you all think

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I personally have not had a problem with the inexpensive Remington .223. There are many variations from each company so it is hard to tell which Remington you are talking about, but usually I stick with ammo I know.

While there is a very good chance you will not have a problem using it in what ever rifle you are talking about, I would try a box or two to make sure my rifle is ok with it before commmitting.

Case in point, I have a very good friend that bought 5000 rounds of a specific ammo because it was a good price. Too bad he didn't test some before committing to so many rounds because his rifle hates the stuff he bought.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I like to test at least 50 or 100 rounds before I do a bulk order. I would hate to buy 1000 rounds of ammo and then not be happy with it.
    Any chance you can pick up a few boxes to test first?

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    I have a dpms carbine I us 55 gr v-max for precise shooting, and pmc 55 gr fmj for everything else( because it's the cheapest around 6 bucks a box) V-max holds 1" to 3/4" 5 shot groups @ 100 & 200 yrds. Fmj groups are slightly larrger but still not bad for cheap ammo and a carbine rifle. I buy the v-max from usa ammo 50 rds for 22.95 new + shipping.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Good advice already given so I'll just say that as soon as I find a round that works in my gun and is cheap, that's the one I buy.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Ive had pretty good luck with the federal 55gr stuff. I usually buy in 100-200rd boxes when I find a good deal. I would make sure that what ever you decide to buy in bulk works good for what you are wanting, and can find at a fair price.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    If you want to try some Red Star ammo, I'll give you 30 rounds to put up against the Remington AND the Lake City. That way you can see the quality of locally made ammo.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    ^^^
    Take him up on this offer!!
    I have never had the opportunity to sample Red Star ammo, but everything I have red has been positive. That, and his customer service is 2nd to none from the comments that he get here! Would be a great way to stock up on high quality locally made ammunition.

Kaiser

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    lafayette area
    I was fianlly able to shoot the Remmington 223 55 grain and the Red Star 62 grain steel core FMJ. Also shot Lake City 5.56 62 grain steel core FMJ.

Ran 60 rounds of the LC thru the gun first. All three rounds shot at 50 yards. Wanted to sight in and also dirty the gun. The LC preformed as well as always. All with in a 3 inch cirlcle with about 70% with in 2 inch circle. Also shot up some 1/4 plate steel at 50 yards all penetrated.

The remmington 223 55 grain UMC was next. Shot 30 rounds all with in a 2 inch circle. Completely remove bull eye from target. Tried the 1/4 plate. As expected no penetration however the resulting dent was better than expected.

The Red Star was next. Really wanted to see what it would do. Shot it last so gun would be dirty (90 rounds shot before). The RedStar was loaded identical to the Lake City. It preformed as well as the LC if not a little better. Even in a hot dirty gun I had no miss feeds. The Red Star acheived penetration of the 1/4 plate steel.

The Red Star is a localy produced ammo. It preformed as well as the LC penetrator and for the money is a great deal. Owner of comapny was very easy to deal with. He did tell me he is going to start loading 55 grain rounds. I am looking forward shooting that rounds as well. The only draw back I see at all is that it is packaged loose. This does not bother me but I guess it would be considered a negitive to some folks.

This was a very informal side by side trail.It was for my own information. I was looking for some imput on a bilk purchase of 1000 rounds and was asked to try the Red Star. I will definately be makeing a purchase as soon as it is availible.

I advise> Get some Red Star ammo and give it a try yourself.

ps I guess I should add this was shot theu a 16" DMPS carbine with a 9x40 scope.

Top Bottom