• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • macolesby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2022
    Terre Haute
    While cleaning things out I decided to go back to my gun safe and see what else I couldn't grab to show off and give a review of and sitting next to the Python a decided to make an appearance. I picked this up while set up at a gun show in Sullivan a few years back and the vendor next to me had this sitting on his table. I have always loved Nickel Smiths, and this one just called out my name. When I bought it it's firing had been minimal and there was hardly a ring around the cylinder. As most anyone would know nothing that I own is a safe queen and almost everything in my safe gets fired at least once by me.

When it comes to the Smith 586's there was a bit of a negative history with them. A lot of them in the first production runs from the factory could not hold up to the pressures of the .357 cartridge and as a result the forcing cone on a lot of them would cause the cylinder to bind. When smith came out with the 586 there was a manufacturers recall and all of the 586's were sent back for warranty repair, When the Dash-1 came out this problem had been fixed but all of them were stamped for being factory corrected.

So, Here's todays tale from the gun safe, What do people want to see next?

Smith 586-1.jpeg

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    That's a beauty! In concept, I didn't really understand why you'd want to nickel a blued 586 when the stainless 686 exists, but now that I see it, I get it.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I love the Nickel Smiths as well, although a 6” Nickel 19 is the only example I own. The 586 is pretty hard to find anymore, especially a Nickel one. Beautiful revolver.

macolesby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2022
    Terre Haute
    That's a beauty! In concept, I didn't really understand why you'd want to nickel a blued 586 when the stainless 686 exists, but now that I see it, I get it.

It's one of the prettiest finishes on the in my opinion. I have the blued version as well and the blue while still pretty doesn't have the same flare as the nickel.
    I love the Nickel Smiths as well, although a 6” Nickel 19 is the only example I own. The 586 is pretty hard to find anymore, especially a Nickel one. Beautiful revolver.

This is a prize in my collection. I will say it does not shoot as well as my Python but when it comes to rarity this one is absolutely one that turns heads at the range.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I must say, the pistol is exquisite, but the staging is lacking a bit in this one.

IMO, a Morgan silver dollar needs to be uncased and able to be held in hand (a lot like shooting the guns you own, and not just letting them sit in a safe). There is something very special about a coin like this both in heft and in the genuine warmth the silver provides when in hand ... and the ring when flipped with a thumb flick.

The scotch is a good choice, but you really set the bar high with the Weller 12 in your rimfire post ... this one is a bit of a let down. On the plus side, both bottles have been opened and undoubtedly enjoyed, so good on you.

The rimfire staging was easily a 10/10 ... this one is closer to a 9/10.

Don't get lazy on the next one! Keep up the good work you started.

macolesby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2022
    Terre Haute
    I must say, the pistol is exquisite, but the staging is lacking a bit in this one.

IMO, a Morgan silver dollar needs to be uncased and able to be held in hand (a lot like shooting the guns you own, and not just letting them sit in a safe). There is something very special about a coin like this both in heft and in the genuine warmth the silver provides when in hand ... and the ring when flipped with a thumb flick.

The scotch is a good choice, but you really set the bar high with the Weller 12 in your rimfire post ... this one is a bit of a let down. On the plus side, both bottles have been opened and undoubtedly enjoyed, so good on you.

The rimfire staging was easily a 10/10 ... this one is closer to a 9/10.

Don't get lazy on the next one! Keep up the good work you started.
    If it wasn't for the grading on this one it would absolutely be out to enjoy, but I can't really force myself to pull out an uncirculated and toned morgan that's almost 150 years old, I'm thinking tonights review post is going to be something extremely rare, that I'd be willing to bet no other forum member has.

macolesby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2022
    Terre Haute
    That 586 is really a beautiful revolver. What a great piece of S&W history!
    Thank you, This is one of my favorites for collector value but doesn't quite get to the same level of shooting as my Python does. This is one that definitely turns heads though whenever I take it to the range.

Top Bottom