• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    So you are taken into the hospital in an emergency while you are carrying. What happens to your gun?

A) If you are conscious and can inform them who do you inform?

B) If you are unconscious who deals with your gun?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    So you are taken into the hospital in an emergency while you are carrying. What happens to your gun?

A) If you are conscious and can inform them who do you inform?

B) If you are unconscious who deals with your gun?

From what I have read here on INGO, tell the EMT, or Officer, that you are armed .....

They SHOULD take care of it .....

Cet2survivor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2015
    North Carolina
    I have had several concealed carriers in my ambulance. If conscious, I'll have them secure the gun in their cars or with family (if able) if not, clear the gun and i secure it in a locked box. The gun is handed over to special police at the hospital and they return it to the patient when the patient is discharged from the hospital. If the patient's unconscious, we secure the gun from the patient and then secure it in our lock box. We give to hospital police and they return to the patient when they are discharged. At least down here most medics are knowledgable about firearms and firearm laws . We don't mind concealed carriers, just it's against company policy (and best for our safety ) if we have the patient's gun secured while in our ambulance.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have had several concealed carriers in my ambulance. If conscious, I'll have them secure the gun in their cars or with family (if able) if not, clear the gun and i secure it in a locked box. The gun is handed over to special police at the hospital and they return it to the patient when the patient is discharged from the hospital. If the patient's unconscious, we secure the gun from the patient and then secure it in our lock box. We give to hospital police and they return to the patient when they are discharged. At least down here most medics are knowledgable about firearms and firearm laws . We don't mind concealed carriers, just it's against company policy (and best for our safety ) if we have the patient's gun secured while in our ambulance.

I like your way MUCH better than other stories we have read here on INGO.

I seem to recall at least one where the Officer on scene confiscated the weapon, turned it in, and the owner had to go downtown to reclaim it. It took some time as they were ballistic testing the weapon.

Doesn't anyone else remember this? Or am I imagining things..

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I seem to recall at least one where the Officer on scene confiscated the weapon, turned it in, and the owner had to go downtown to reclaim it. It took some time as they were ballistic testing the weapon.

I remember reading about it, I also remember several officers on here saying similar instances were why they at least attempted to find out if the guy had someone there that could take it for him or iirc at least one or two officers on here who stated that they had delivered it to one of the persons family members at home.

Cet2survivor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2015
    North Carolina
    I like your way MUCH better than other stories we have read here on INGO.

What? That seems excessive. Our Hospital's special police *may* run the serial number to make sure it's not stolen, but sending it to the local pd and running ballistics makes no sense.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    What? That seems excessive. Our Hospital's special police *may* run the serial number to make sure it's not stolen, but sending it to the local pd and running ballistics makes no sense.

Greetings from a fellow medic and :welcome: to :ingo: ! :wavey:

It doesn't make any sense, no, but when you have an anti-gun guy in charge of "public safety" like Indianapolis had, you get stupid policies put in place, like that if a weapon is entered into the police property room for any reason, the owner must submit to photo and fingerprinting and the gun to ballistic testing prior to the owner getting it back, even though only the fingerprinting was required for the owner to get his/her carry license initially (none of that was required at all just for him/her to have it, say, if that MVC occurred on the way to or from the range with it unloaded and cased in the vehicle) Also, EMS may not be the ones taking the gun with, but just give it to the officer on scene, or if it gets to the hospital, they have security, but I don't think they have actual police of any level (other than maybe cops moonlighting) and so that's who they call to take care of it if they don't want the responsibility of someone's gun. No offense to members here, but given some "hospital security" guys I've seen (and for that matter, some EMTs and medics :rolleyes:) the weapon is probably safer for its owner and everyone else involved if those particular gun-ignorant, less-than-stellar individuals stay as far away from it as possible.

Thankfully, that guy is gone and someone else's problem now, but I think, like most public policies, that nonsense lives on in Indianapolis proper until someone with testicular fortitude decides to change it. I'm not aware of it anywhere else in the state. I'm also glad I never worked in Indianapolis, so didn't have to deal with it, then or now.

Again, welcome to INGO, and I hope you enjoy the time you spend with us!

Blessings,
    Bill

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Leave it where it is, unless it's not secure or it's gonna get in the way. If it will be in the way or it's not secure, either I will secure it and bring it with us to our security (most of them are moonlighting officers) or LE will take it and either leave it with family if they're around or take it downtown and the owner can get it back later.

Top Bottom