Another Tristar semi-auto shotgun question…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bdj357

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    DaRegion NWI Crown Point
    I was at the gunshow this weekend looking at a Tri—Star ATAC semi-auto trying to decide if I was going to buy one online. Action didn’t feel all that bad. An older gentleman there stated he put a dab of diamond lapping compound on the action and hand cycled as well as fired 50 rounds through it. He said it was “butter” when he was done. He said it barely takes any metal off, just smooths the surfaces. Kind of makes sense. Never heard of this. Is this recommended?

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I had a $199 special pump action that I cleaned and "lubed" with Flitz out of the box to try this. It didn't hurt anything. Valve lapping compound might be something to experiment with. Just as an experiment.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    If you do end up doing that, make sure you get every last little bit of that compound back out. Abrasives won't do good things for the action bits over the long term. Personaly, I'd rather polish the action parts by hand to make sure I'm only hitting the surfaces that I want to smooth out, and not introducing undesired wear to others. Putting lapping compound in the action is probably quicker and easier initially,but I like the control of knowing what's being done to what, and I don't want that stuff all over my action.

The other option is just lube it and shoot it a bunch...it'll likely wear in on its own in short order.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    A different track:

You'll probably be disappointed in the long-term reliability of that shotgun.

The Turks can and do make some quite good shotguns; but generally speaking - the semi-auto ones aren't "it". This is indeed a generalized blanket statement - but it also generally applies across the board to all Turkish semi-autos; from those designed as upland game / fowl hunting rigs to all those POS AR-style shotguns.

Top Bottom